Bass on bluegills

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by katfish hunter, Apr 16, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

Me and my dad were just fishin Black creek yesterday for bluegills.I caught one really big one that easily goes one pound.Then I caught a second bluegill, the bluegill was maybe 5 in. long.Just before I got him to shore, a gigantic bass charged through the water after my bluegill.The bass was atleast 7 lbs.Does anyone have any way to fish a live sunfish for bass.How big of a sunfish do you reccomend for bait?What kind of sunfish is best?What tackle would be best?
  2. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

A good 7' to 7'6" MH action rod & a good baitcastin' reel spooled with 25# Big Game line oughta do the trick. You'll also need a 3/0 to 6/0 Kahel hook & hook the bait just behind the dorsal fin. I like usin' a "big" slip bobber set-up without any weight (shallow water). Just cast the in the area you want to fish & let it sit there. You'll need to be very patient & let the bait do all the work... when you see the bobber runnin' somethin' is chasin' the bait. When the bobber goes under let the fish have it for a three count before you set the hook & when you set the hook set it hard... you'll want to cross his eyes & drive the hook home.