BASS MASTERS CLASSIC

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by bw69r, Feb 23, 2009.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    skeet reese won the classic. it was a good one and came right down to the wire. he is a very deserving winner and i say good for him and congrats. any one else watch on espn 2?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I watched all three days of it and enjoyed the fight to the finish. I was pulling for Skeet. I can't stand Mike Iconellie (SP) even though he finished second. Mike acts like a little kid.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That was one of the best classics I can remember.. I like old Skeet, he is a heck of a fisherman. I was alittle disappointed in Kevin Van Dam though.. rollo

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Mike i can't stand iaconelli either he acts like a tool. i can understand the emotion but screaming everytime something happens is silly. its all marketing with him, be different from everyone else and pan to the younger crowd. i guess it sells books and dvd's. Jason i was disappointed KVD did not do better as well. thoght it set up well for him but thats the way things work out in fishing. i have talked to him before and he is a real good guy and really knows his stuff. he will be back though.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats cool.. KVD is my favorite bass fisherman. He is a real class act. Never acts cocky or trys to bring attention to himself. He just fishes, and continues to set the bar for everyone else, in my opinion...rollo

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm glad Skeet beat Iaconelli, he does act like a tool. the screaming is obnoxious and just a marketing tool.

I pull for KVD, Skeet, Greg Hackney, Dean Rojas, Aaron Martens and of course my all time favorite bassmaster, Rick Clunn.

I'm glad Aussie Sheila got thrashed!

7. wild woody

wild woody New Member

State:
    ohio
    I watched the classic for 2 days then listened to the finish via the PC. It was intense. I remember when Kevin won that was a few years ago. My husband and I had just started dating. My husband was working at the classic and all I got to do was watch it on tv.

I am glad skeet won. I liked Jamie too and he did well the 1st 2 days.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    ESPN's coverage of the classic is a joke. For 2 days you watch two people sit at a desk and talk about the classic. I timed it this year and they showed 6 1/2 minutes of fishing each hour the first two days. Totally unacceptable when you have a camera in 1/2 the boats in the field. Then to run the same stories the second day as they did the first was a waste. How about actually letting us watch them fish at the classic instead of listening to guys that didn't even qualify tell us what it is going to take to win it.

I love watching Iaconelli. I was pulling for him. But Skeet Reese is a very deserving Champ and congrats to him. He is a heck of a fisherman. BTW the screaming isn't a marketing tool, that is the way Iaconelli is. My boss is a Pro Bass fisherman. I have met a few of the bass pros and Iaconelli isn't an act. Remember he was dropped by Ranger Boats for what he did at the classic in 2006. You don't throw away sponsorship dollars as a marketing tool. He is a little nutty, but it's not an act.

9. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I like Ike myself. Don't think he an I would get along very well if I spent more then a few minutes with him, but he is a competitor, and takes enjoyment in each fish he catches. Little over the top at times, but fun to watch IMO. He is the "Happy Gilmore" of bass fishing for those that have seen the movie. Ike has a show, City Limits Fishing on VS, and it is pretty good. Most fishing shows only show the host catching lots of fish and is basically a 30 min ad for various products that I won't buy, but this show, Hank Parker's, and Bill Dance's are all good about explaining where they are fishing and what they are looking for.

It was a great event this year. Watched day 3 monday night, and even though I already new the results, it was still intense up to the last minute. As much as I don't care about bass fishing, it made me want to break out a football jig or crawfish a few spawning grounds in a couple months when the water warms a little.

10. UpperBearFishin

UpperBearFishin New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I also am a big fan of Ike!!!! He is kinda refreshing to watch as he is different from all the other fisherman...He actually gets real excited and acts like alot of the pros want to but just don't have the nads to do....JMHO

11. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I did not go to the weigh ins even though they were right here were I live but I can tell you there were alot of people there. They say it brought alot of dollers to the area. I hope ya'll got to see a little of my river. I had alot of my friends go and they say it is sure something to see.:smile2:

12. trackerpro17

trackerpro17 New Member

State:
    Nc
    I was pulling for kvd just not his day. But i am glad that ike did not win.

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    This weekend i met the mike iaconelli of bluegill fishing!! Everytime he caught a bluegill he would drop his pole scream and walk around in circles around it....talk about being annoying. A good way to ruin a peaceful time fishing.