Bass Lake today

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Capt Steve, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    I got to fish Bass Lake for about 3 hours this morning. Got lots of strikes but the kokes have a hard mouth right now. Only netted one plus a nice rainbow. Near the dam, 35 ft, Wedding Ring with corn behind a Dodger. What a beautiful day on the lake. Very few boats and pwc's.

Attached Files:

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    You got a picture of that rig?
    I've heard people talk about wedding rings and the like but have never sen one.
    And what type of dodger do you use.
    I don't fish for kokes except when I go to visit my sisters who live just outside of Oakhurst.
    My Bro in Law bought a small tin boat last year but he knows next to nothing about fishing.
    Any help you can give would be most useful, particularly a photo with something to scale it with.

3. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Here's a pic of a Wedding Ring. I rig it with the beads and blade loose on your line, a #4 red hook with another trailer hook on a leader right behind it and one kernel of shoepeg corn on the trailer hook.
    CLICK
    I like a 5 inch plain nickel plated or prismatic dodger in a skateboard shape that my brother has developed. Big action trolled at 1.5 mph.
    DODGERS

Attached Files:

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Way To Go Steve. :big_smile:
    :0a23:

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks for that clue, I have been fishing them with a flasher rig trailed at about 14"-18" by a #8 hook threaded through a night crawler.
    That rig seems to work but I'll pick up your rig next time I go.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Tom, :big_smile:

How have you been Buddy?

When I go to one of the local lakes up here to troll for Trout, I use the rig with the Wedding Ring Lure & "it work well to" - they really go for that lure / But I like to try the rig that you us as well / in fact the next time that I go out there after some - I'm going give that rig a shot. :cross:
    (Because you know that you are the man when it come down to fishing info)
    :wink:

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Hey Bert, I've been doing pretty good.
    ON thing I have found about that flasher crawler is that if I put a sliding egg sinker on the line above the swivel for the flasher I can get as deep as I want depending on the slider and it doesn't seem to detract from the effectiveness of the rig.
    I've also found that when fishing places like McClure for salmon or Big Bear for trout that if you replace the crawler with a 3''-4'' Rapala shallow diver they are deadly for black bass.

8. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Here's some more koke info-
    *Worms for trout, corn for kokes.
    *What combo works consistently at one lake doesn't necessarily work elsewhere. Water clarity is different a Shaver and Bass Lake.
    *A lot of serious kokanee fishermen enjoy making their own lures. Ask 10 guys what works best and you get 10 different answers. Seems there is a new ‘hot setup’ koke lure or scent being commercially promoted each year. The old standards like the apex, hoochies and even crappie jigs still work just fine.
    *Kokes like 50° water temp. They don’t like boats and really go nuts when you get them close. I lost one yesterday that jumped 3 ft out of the water twice when I got it within 10 ft of the boat.
    *At Bass Lake Wittwer is the man as far as guides go. Yandell at Shaver.
    *Koke schools look like a round ball on a fishfinder. Salmon don’t show up on some low-end sonars. A GPS is a big help, as is a wide angle sonar.
    *A light crappie type rod works well. Kokes are line shy. I use Fireline on a baitcaster reel. I clip the rig about 25 ft behind the downrigger ball. Two rods out max, I buy the theory that kokes don’t attack if they feel outnumbered.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post Steve, learned some new stuff..... and its appreciated... Glad that you could get further away from the house...

Bayrunner Ray

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice fish Capt. Thanks for the great info brother:wink: