Bass for bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by lfeduccia, Jul 28, 2008.

1. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    I was wondering if it was illegal to use 4in to 6in bass as bait fish not to long ago I could not catch anything but bass while bobber fish for blue, and not to have a wasted trip decided to through it out had better luck with flatties then anything I ever tried. they seem to hit the bass no matter what alive, dead, or ripped up by other flatties. They seem more like paranas when bass are out then flatties. I do not want to do that if it is illegal. I do not see why it would be. It might be upsetting for bass fisher men ( what I used to fish for before learning about the fun of flatties ). No bass fishiermen reply please you may be influenced....... LOL

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not sure of the laws where you are at. I know in some states it is legal as long as you catch legal and do not transport it to another body of water

3. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    True in Tennessee... as long as you catch game fish by legal means (rod & reel) and they meet any size or creel restriction, you can use them as bait.

I've never used bass, however it so happens that my personal best blue cat (60 lbs.) was caught on a crappie filet. I caught one legal (11 inch) crappie that day. It died in livewell and I didn't want to clean one measly fish so I sliced off a filet and put him on my catfish rod. Dropped filet in secret hole and 30 seconds later, "Bang!" Caught and released that fish... then dropped second filet in hole. "Bang" again.... only I had failed to re-tie hook after catching first big fish. Number Two broke me off. :sad2:

Hardcore catters around my neck of the woods are always prone to say, "If it has scales, it's bait." :wink:

4. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    So you retie your hook after every catch?

5. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    i retie my line after every big catch and pull off about 5-10 ft of line to ensure i dont have any nicks in my line from the last big one rolling in the brush and rocks. it only makes for a week spot and i only use 15lb line no more then 20lb just never seen the need for it play the drag and you cannot lose

6. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    size limits can be a prob. Some states do not allow you to keep a bass under 12 inches.:sad2:

7. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    NC size limit for bass is 14 inches in most of the places i fish

8. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah you better hope you dont get caught using a 4-6 inch bass here by a conservations officer. if your going to use them they have to meet the 14 inch size limit.

9. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    In the Indiana Recreation and Fishing guide
    book the minimum size for largemouth bass is 14"in lakes 12"in rivers. THere are exceptions
    in different places that are listed. It is also
    states that any fish can be used as bait fish
    as long as it meets the minimum size requirement.
    The one exception being live gizzard shad.I've
    never tried a live bass before...Hmmm

10. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    my favorite bait to use is bullheads just clip off the three spines

11. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    well a flat head eat a 12inch bass? What about white bass, small mouth, and large mouth are they all the same on the rules for bass?

12. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    The same minimum size requirement applys for
    largemouth,smallmouth,spotted and black bass.
    There are no minimum size requirements for
    yellow,white,striped,hybrid and rock bass.

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah a flattie will eat a 12" sm... but size limit is 14... don't get caught:wink:
    I've fished with white bass on one rig along side two rigs baited with gills on them, I don't know, but the one baited with white bass will always sit there while I catch fish on the gills . I've done this experiment several times and I've never caught a flathead On white bass... maybe they don't taste good lol.. I'm sure someone has, but I havent.... I've fished with everything that has gills, and is native to the river sections I fish most... except a gar or sauger lol... GILLS WORK BEST imo they smoke any bait out there.

14. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would like to take the time and say thanks to everyone who has taken the time out to help me. I have been trying to catch a big flatty for two years now and find all of you has been a god send. I have been having a hard time trying to find that big flat but the more I ask and listen to all of you the larger my catch becomes.
    A few nights back I caught a 15lb flatty, felt great but not good enough. any ideas on what bait fish to use how to hook them and with what hooks are best any thoughts at all would be extremly greatfull

Thanks agian.

email me @ lloydfeduccia@gmail.com

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Flatheads love Bass!

Just make sure you follow your state's regulations.