Bass for bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by boozer, Jun 29, 2007.

1. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    why does everyone have a picture of a bass with bait wrote on it? are people useing them for bait are they working or what.

2. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    No, they not used for bait, They don't like bass fishing, this is the BOC. And green carp do not make good bait.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I use them all the time and they make a great flathead bait. They are long and slender and easily swallowed by a flathead like a sucker or chub. They hate being pinned down with lead so they struggle hard making all kinds of vibrations to call in big fish. And ones over a pound will live all night and thru a couple of moves. Plus the bass fishermen throw them all back so they are plentiful.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U kind use bass for bait in Alabama, because its a gamefish. I dont like the idea of using them for bait anyways.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes CJ, You are right, Most states don't permitt gamefish to be used as bait!!! I would if I could!!! Flatheads love'm!!!

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use them great bait, if its caught on rod and reel you can use it legally in the upstate but in the lower part of the state bass have to be 12 inches to keep.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Crappie work real good too, LOL!!!

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I thought they must be good for something, just didn't know what it was!

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You just couldn't stop yourself could you, LOL!!! Restraint is extremely difficult at times, LMAO!!!

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Here in Oklahoma, they're legal bait as long as they are legally caught on a hook... and the flathead do love them!

11. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    new they would be good bait just didnt know what that picture was supposed to mean thanks to everyones reply.good fishing to all.

12. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree they are awsome bait if I get in a bind and dont have any bait for the river I go to a farm pond that is overun with them and catch a dozen or so and I have great luck on them. I've also caught my largest channell cat(18lbs) on a 12" bass.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Couldn't have said it any better! Kudos to you S-Man!

14. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    WOW, I'm amazed by the amount of members that really use bass for bait. Why not spend 20-30 bucks on a shad net and use BAIT fish for bait??? Or PM me if you need one, I've got like 5 spares layin around and would love to send someone one if it prevents them from using GAME fish for bait. Just because bass fishing is not your cup of tea does not mean you should do whatever you please with them. CONSERVATION starts with you. (I feel as though you should) leave the bass for your children to catch if you don't enjoy fishin for 'em. FYI I'm pretty sure they must be under 12" in KS to use as bait, and must be caught on rod n' reel. Tried to double check the KDWP website but it keeps freezing up on me. To each his own I guess. Either way, good fishin!

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Kyle no offense but they sell bass minnows for bait should be not use them? Im not saying this to be a smarta$$ but they do not sell catfish minnow for that same thing. I personaly dont use bass (unless its minnows) but in Ohio if you catch them (Game Fish) with R/R you can use them for bait. I think that you may be taking alot of the sarcasm a little too seriously, Im sure there are guys that use them for bait if they catch them but I dont think anyone is going out there specificly fishing for bass to use when you can get shad/gills/bream more easily.

I agree with you that conservation begins with you and I

16. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    BLASPHEMY!!!! :waaaht:

How could anyone use something as purdy as these for bait? I will stick to my bluegills, shad, and suckers. They work just fine.

If they are legal, and you want to use them, then I say.......use em.

Good fishing to you all.

17. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    What does not like to eat a bass??????????

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is Blasphemy, to call "GREEN CARP" purdy, LMAO!!!

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in the waters i fish, bass are as prolific as bream. i eat largemouth and smallmouth bass, never had any complaints. i would never use a bass for bait because it's illegal where i am... that said, more and more folks are warming up to carp fishing as a sport, yet i have no trouble slaughtering one for cut bait, or nose hooking a small carp for a bait either.
    come to think of it, bass exhibit several qualities we catmen look for in a live bait, because they are in the same family as our go to bait for flatties- BREAM!

good fishin to yall

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If it comes down to a hard fighting bass and a lazy gill that just sits on the bottom, I opt for the bass every time. I make it a point to catch a couple every time I'm out bait fishing in the river. Large and smallmouth, even pond bass out fish pond gills. Crappie are my favorite though when I can get them. Sometimes I have to drive farther than I can keep shad alive. So Gills, crappie, and bass have to serve as bait. I do have a cast net but only use it for shad when I can use them live. If I wanted to catch small fish I wouldn't need bass or crappie. I'd just use cut dead shad lol. If I put a bass on a hook and cast it out it becomes a baitfish doesn't it?