Bass fishing - whats the hurry

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Boogie68MHS, May 25, 2006.

1. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Is it just me or does it seem to others too that Bass fishermen seem to always be going 800 miles an hour even to go 50 yards and they always have to come within about 20 feet of your boat when you are anchored or drifting?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Its even worse when they don't follow the HP limits on small lakes.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Because apperently Bass are so elusive that they have to hurry up on them or they will get away ROTFLMAO!!!
    There are a lot of bass fishermen out there that are good folks, but it only takes MORON to ruin it for the rest. These folks need to respect other peoples space and slow down a little. I have ways of slowing them down, LOL!!!

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I hate when i cast way out from the bank and some bass fisherman will go right over my line. That is somehting that happens almsot everytime I fish at one of my spots.

5. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    I did find a good use for bass lures. We were at our lake lot & the kids were swimming. A couple of punks were pulling a skier around & he decided it would be fun cutting in by our dock & drowning the girls with a water wall off his skis. He made 2 passes & I hollered at him to knock it off & all I got was cussed. They came around again & I had put on a big old Rapala with 3 trebles on it. They came by cussin & flippin me off. When the boat went by I cast over his ski rope & he had to let go or get his hands full of trebles.
    Well, I went out in the water & got him & we had a little education on the finer aspects of manners & what a mean a___ old man does when somebody screws with his kids. His chicken sh__ buddies wouldn't even come in & pick him up. He had to swim out about 50 yds to the boat & him with his face bleedin like that. Don't think I'll have any more trouble.

Eric

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Ouch...Sounds like they got the message. I would not want a hand full of trebles. That would be enough to ruin the day or longer.

7. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I learned what my elders called boat ettiquete when I was young.
    I guess no one teaches it to young people now.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I really wish people would stop catagorizing all people who fish for bass like that I can say the same about cat fishermen there are lots of idiots who fish for all spiecies. I can say the same thing for trout fishermen salmon etc. just becasue a couple of idiots tick a person off dont put everyone else that fishes for the same fish in the same catagory.

9. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Except when you fish the same place year after year for 50 years and 99% of the inconsiderate and down right rude boaters are bass fisherman I feel pretty safe with my comment, especially my motivation for the thread was last Monday when I was fishing with live bait and caught 2 bass - 2 guys bass fishing closed in on me and actaully hit my boat with a lure.
    Thats when I exploded, because it has become more common place here than not, this is not my first experience with this kind of conduct.
    My broter-in-law just made the comment to me yesterday that Sangchris has become such a popular bass spot that the bass fishermen seem to think we should just stay out of thier way.

10. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    I think my biggest beef with bass fishermen is that think they own the whole body of water during a tournament. More than once I have come close to being swamped by a bass boat. And I also don't appreciate it when they cut a trot line either.
    A little consideration for others would go a long way.
    JMHO
    Eric

11. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I will say you HAVNT met or seen that many bass fishermen then. Most of the ones I fish with are not rude nor do things as you and others have said. but thats ok classify me and everyone else that do fish bass and other spiecies as jerks etc. Maybe with people who are narrow minded and cut down everyone because of a few would like another one to join the ranks of being that way.

12. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL

Maybe the bass fishermen over there in California are just a different breed. Here in Illinois, the majority of bass fisherman are jerks with giant motors on undersized boats that fly around acting like they own the lake. When we talk about "bass fisherman" in Illinois, we're not talking about the local bass angler who's down at the local lake not acting like a jerk, those guys are just normal fisherman like the rest of us. No, when we say "bass fishermen" here, we're talking about the stuck up prick bass fisherman from the big city who gets out on the water in his $30,000 bass boat once or twice a year. We're talking about the guy who drives 300 miles to come fly around our local lakes doing 60mph and throwing up wake within ten feet of shore or another angler and showing absolutely no respect for anybody or anything. These guys don't care so much about fishing as about downing a case of beer with their drunk buddies while speeding around with a radio blaring and throwing garbage all over the place. These are the guys that we're talking about when we say "bass fishermen" and there is surely no shortage of them around here.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If I had a 20 foot boat with a 225 on it I would be hauling the mail too.
    If I owned a corvette I'm sure I would speed more frequently then I do now.

Have you ever seen someone's personality change when they climb into their sports car? I have! Its not always a bad thing either.

I could care less how fast someone chooses to run their boat on a lake or wherever as long as they can see me.
    Wake? I deal with more wake from the dang wind then I do boats.
    If wake is a bothersome problem maybe fishing isnt the best past time or sport or either you need a bigger boat or a more well designed boat for the waters you fish.

Why does anyone do anything that may rock someone else's world?
    BECAUSE THEY CAN.
    There aint a sole on this board from the male equation that given the oppertunity to own a 35,000 dollar bass boat that would top 75 MPH who wouldnt throw some wake and demonstrate what a running pad is for.

More power to them folks with that kind of equipment. Had I done things a little different I'd probally be pulling a 125,000 dollar boat with a 60,000 dollar tow vehicle myself and throwing one helluva wake.

14. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Mark, I can see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with it. You might be fine with rich jack-@$$es showing off and blowing by you at 75, but that doesn't mean I have to be. Furthermore, if I had the money to buy one of those boats, I doubt I would. I mean, what's the point? I can get to where I need to go without doing 75 and being disrespectful to all the other anglers on the lake. What part of not being a prick is so hard?

Also, sure every boat's gonna throw out a bit of wake, but if you're driving a huge bass boat and throwing out a two foot wake, I think it'd be common courtesy to not drive so close to another guy that you're practically swamping him.

The original post in this thread asked why these guys have to go so darned fast over such short distances. Nobody's answered that question yet. What's the freaking hurry? It's not like your fishing spot is going anywhere.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I did answer the question.
    BECAUSE THEY CAN.
    Seriously, if you had a Z06 Corvette, would you tool around like grandma everywhere you went?
    I think not and I'm sure somewhere in the process you would make one or many just as unhappy as you are over a bass boat

Human nature buddy. Not everyone is cut from the same mold, not everyone carries the same stress levels day to day, and not everyone owns a boat that will do 75+ MPH.

The older you get the more you take people at face value and that water rolls off a duck's back alot easier.

16. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I still enjoy putting a boat on the pad! Mine is not one of the top any more time has passed it by.As for ALL bass fisherman being jurks , that is NOT a true statement. There are many catfisherman that will run over your lines, it happens to me every week. I would rather have a bass boat go by running flat out than a jon or toon at 1/2 power , much less wake when they are on top.

17. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    You got that right. My ranger or even my old tracker bass boats if I crawl by its a lot bigger wake then runing by wot. I have had a lot of cat and other spieces fishermen be real idiots but I dont complain or belittle all people who fish for that type of fish as it wouldnt be fair to label everyone a idiot. Its the pleasure boaters and jet skiers that give me more of a head ache then anyone else.

18. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I'm sorry but you are off base here, my son-in-law owns the big speed boat and NEVER does any of us make large wakes near others.
    You sound like the kind of guy that would not only speed in the Corvette, but do it on a crowded city street.
    The problem is not just speed it is the additude of "I own this lake" I don't mind the bass boat or any other for that matter passing while on plane if they don't try to see how close they can get to my boat in the process.
    I still can't understand the reason for some guys racing all out to go 100 yards when I have seen some guys do it with a trolling motor, It is no more than trying to show off.
    It is easy to sit back and say it is not that bad until you experience this on most of your trips, I have come to the point that I only fish at night so I avoid the problem.

19. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think one of the earlier posts had it right.. There are idiots in all areas of life. Inconsiderate walkers, drivers, boaters etc. etc. Don't even get me started on the jet skiers!!

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont own a Vette because I would speed everywhere:lol:

I've been in the throttle down go 100 yards and stop club.
    I could site many reasons I've done it but I cant speak for a fella in Illinois.
    Countless times I've gone to move and nailed it..until I see something cross that mega dollar depth finder screwed to the dash that peaks my interest.

Or I remembered a catch coming off that point several years back so I think I will fish it afterall.

Or maybe it was because reading the manual of my not so cheap new outboard and seeing that that these motors are made to run wide open and not made for puttering around.

Relax brother, there is room for everybody as long as you realize there are jerks in this world and you are going to have to put up with jerks.
    None of the stuff you mention ticks me off anymore. I've mellowed like a fine wine.
    you'll get the occasional laugh at the idiots. I did last year when one ran right over my lines. 50 pound Ande leader and 8/0 heavy duty Gamakatsu hooks on a 3/0 barrel swivel.
    I watched this guy for an hour and a half crank his boat, put it in gear , and it cut off. Over and over. Remove the engine cowl several times.
    Even go take the battery out of his truck because he finally ran the boat battery down. And finally a light bulb moment! He raises the motor.
    I watched , laughed, giggled, and even walked over to look at the mess. Nope I dont have a prop wrench either ( Hey idiot I am bank fishing sure I always carry prop wrenches in my bait bucket ).
    It took him another 2 hours to get that 2 foot monster leader, hook, and swivel out. This brain child wasnt even on a bass boat. He was on a runabout going catfishing. Go figure that one. We have jerks among our own too. But I bet had he been on a 30k rig with a 225 on the back there would have been a prop wrench on the boat and probally a spare prop.
    True vindication and I bet he never runs over anyone else's lines as long as he lives.

This isn't a wopsided game score wise. These jerks hang themselves eventually you just got to be fortunate enough to be there to see them.