Bass fishing tips

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by lightningmetal10, Mar 28, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    OK heres my story...
    Im a bass fisherman in Long island new york. I typically go simple in my methods by using spiiners, spinnerbaits, live worms, weedless hook lures, some topwater, and crankbaits... I knwo there are a variety of way of catching bass but does ne one have any other ideas on a successful way to catch some largemouth?
    Joe

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bass arent the best bait for catfish. I dont know why you would want to try and use them for bait. LOL just kidding man, I dont do much bass fishin just thought Id give ya a hard time lol good luck!

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You really want to catch bass?

It's in soft plastics.
    Fact, more big fish are caught using artificial worms.
    I'm going to guess that second in line would be the jig and pig.

Spring is here. start chunking something like a zoom lizzard on the warmest water.
    Lizzards are springtime forage considering lizzards have a nasty habit of eating fish eggs.
    During the bedding cycles (notice cycles is plural) I'll throw a variety of plastics.
    As summer sets in I'll switch over to a culprit worm, floating worms, and jerk baits like the slug-go.
    You cant go wrong.

Alot of people are intimidated by fishing with artificial worms. There is no right or wrong way.Throw it out and try a variety of retrieves from ultra slow to erratic hopping.
    You have to have confidence in what you are fishing with. Something I have done in the past to diversify my catching ability by learning to use a jig and pig was to go fishing and leave everything at home but the jig and pig.
    I fished that way until I started catching fish building my confidence in what I was fishing with and myself.

Pointers - Use lighter line. Many people spool up with something like a 17-20 pound test. I go with anywhere from 8-12 pound with no problems.

Dont be fooled into thinking bass spawn one time a year and that is in the spring.
    One of the largest bass I've caught was 9 pounds 2 ounces on the bed in 10 feet of water August 18th 1989 at Lake Gaston in Pea Hill creek on a hand dyed strawberry with a chartreuse tailed golden shiner Culprit worm.
    That fish ticked me off. I was prefishing the day of a night tournament. I needed that fish about 2Am.

To fish for big bass , to me there is no better time then say from Nov until March. I throw a jig and pig and move it super slow.
    The metabolism of the larger bass require them to eat more frequently during the winter months then the smaller ones.
    I catch less fish in the winter but 90% of what I do catch is substantial in size with the majority surpassing 6-7 pounds in weight.

One of my best days bass fishing ever was in a pond here on the farm. I was bankfishing and built a fire to stay warm right before it started sleeting. The bass were going nuts that day.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Mark has it down. I'll just add I really like using a Zoom Brush Hog with an 1/8 oz. bullet weight. I caught some big bass on this plastic wounder worm. Biggest was over 11 lbs. (click my avatar to see the pic).
    Lizards work really well this time a year.

5. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In a tournament i was in about 2 weeks ago in the Ozarks the guys who were catching the big bass and a lot of bass were using a jig and pig, wiggle wart about 2-6 feet of depth around brush. I'd say with the spawn getting ready to come on hard, in a while you might try lizzards. Lizzards eat eggs and bass will eat them just to protect their nests. Good luck and i hope this helps.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here's a tip my buddy gave me to really tick off a bass their beds this time of year. Rig a crayfish imitating soft plastic lick normal, except put jamb a pice of Alka-seltzer in it...flip it near the bed and HOLD ON! Nothing is worse on nest raiding than a crayfish!

7. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I caught 7 bass today, 5 were on a crawdad color wiggle wart and 2 on a rattle trap. :)

8. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
  9. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    In early spring, what works best for me is floating a nightcrawler under a bobber where the current breaks. Hook the nightcrawler only a couple of times on one end. Let the other end hang off three of four inches off your hook. It works best during a sunny day when the water is warming up. If the water you are fishing is four feet deep where the current breaks, let it float down the river two to three feet deep. You really can't go wrong. Bass minnows, chubs, and small bluegills will also tear them up fished the same way. You will also catch lots of channels and the occasional sucker from time to time. You want to get as close to the current as possible without it taking your bobber and shooting it downstream. It is also best as far upstream as you can get to where the current starts. The bass and channel will school up there looking for baitfish in the small breaks in currrent.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    My overall favorite bait is a Rattle Trap.....they catch Bass, and nearly everything else also. Caught a 3 lb Bass the other day with a small gold spoon while fishing for Hickory and American Shad.

Zakk

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I saw that you posted on this thread and had to come in and see what you said, LOL!!! You know I won't use it against you:rolleyes: , Huh Zakk AKA BassMaster Jr, LMAO

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh man.....well I've really done it now. What can I say? I am a man of many talents.....:rolleyes:

13. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Learn to work structure. It sounds like you have all the right tools. If fishing a river, work the down stream side of structure, especially if there is deep water nearby, or a creek/stream feeding into the water. The flats are great producers as well, especially during spawn, now. Don't be afraid to work your crankbaits around holding areas. Use the plastic baits to work deep deadfalls. Other than that, just have fun.

14. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    what works for is throwing spinnerbaits over weeds or sturce at differt speeds that is what mt opinon is during this time of the year and the rest betwwen crankbaits, top water, etc and rigged drop shot style

15. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Joe, Jess hit the nail on the head. Live shiners rigged under a cork. The bigger the shiner the better. Throw him along the edge of cattails, weedbeds and any structure along the bank. When the cork goes under let him run a little to ensure he's got it all in his mouth then nail him. Vern

16. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    My new favorite bait is a Booyah Spinnerbait topped off with a chartruse Mr.Twisty. Or you could just go with a regular old crank bait, they always seem to work.

17. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Heres one for you, I bass fished for many years. Go out early in the morning, before light in the spring, month of May and June is good. If theres fog then thats great conditions. Use a black jitterbug and cast where theres trees overhanging the water and slowly retrieve so it sounds like bubbles, bloop, bloop. Not to fast and not to slow. If theres big bass there you'll know it soon enough as they will explode on the jitterbug! I believe the fish think it's a baby bird that has fallen out of it's nest (very sad thought, A) or maybe a mole / mouse swimming. If you know theres big bass hangin out there then use a 4 or 5" BLACK jitterbug. GOOD HUNTING........:)

18. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Most exciting, Top water. 1/2 oz black buzz bait or a green frog.

19. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    i agree with theo ne who loves soft plasics! In the past two weeks i have caught a lot of bass all on worms, lizards and frogs! Thank you very much you have torn me out of my expensive lure phase (at least until July when the season heats up) but hey im loving the soft plastics! Thanks again guys!
    Joe

20. RRaider

RRaider Guest

My two biggest bass were caught with minnows.