Bass fishing on my catfish river.

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by coolarrow2, Nov 24, 2007.

1. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I dont normally post bass fishing stuff on this site but I had to for the last two trips I have had. I don't bass fish like I used to, the tourneys just wore me out so I just all but quit bass fishing. I sold the bass boat and bought a new 16' all welded semi v jon boat and took up catfish and bow fishing full time. I go bass fishing in the spring and the fall a few trips every year. Well on my last two bass outing I have have some super days. Yesterday I went down to the locks in the Trinity river here in south east texas. I tore the fish up! I caught strippers, whites, largemouths, catfish, fresh water drum, and even one red fish! All in the same crank bait. I got tired of taking out the hooks from the fish. For three hours I just set there reeling in a fish on almost every cast. It was a blast. Last weekend I went and caught some really nice largemouth out of the river. When the river gets down like it was you can catch some good ones. Anyway just thought I would post this. For you guys who live near a river and never have bass fished in it you might want to give it a shot when the water levels are low. It might shock you what you catch. good luck

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sounds like a blast. My spots are loaded up with bass atm so I'm thinking about nailing a few also. I haven't done well with the cats so maybe a few bass catches will recharge my fishing enthusiasm.

3. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Sounds like a great time. It is wonderful when nature decides to throw a person a bone.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sounds like you had a good time.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I went back Friday but due to the river rising and turning to mud the bass were few and far between. I still caught a couple but nothing like it's been. Time for catfishing again!!

6. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    So what's the special lure??

7. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I use to think that river bass were small, a few years ago I started bass fishin on the Red river, I found out fast that I had thought wrong, I have caught more 4 to 7 pound Bass over the last 3 years than I have my whole life, they fight hard, and when the bite is on, it don't take long to get BASS THUMB.lol

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well i really dont like to see bass fisherman on my river not all but 99%% are the rudest dam people seems like if you own a bass boat its a must to run wide open no matter if somebody is anchored up fishing or not or several people anchored up really pisses me off bad not many crappie or other catfisherman do that to each other most slow down and give space!!!!! i had fun cussing a bass guy who got pissed i went around him about 100 ft then threw towards the bank for shad boy did he get mad well it was great because he got a ear full from me about how rude i thought 99 % of the bass fisherman where god i hate weekends i usually fish monday threw friday i miss the good old days when u pulled up to the boat ramp and only 3 or 4 trucks where parked its allmost inpossible to have fun fishing on the weekend anymore. what happend to being friendly, slowing down and giving space!!!!!! ok ill shut up now

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    way to go on your catch ray i bet that was a blast:wink:

10. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    me i fish on the bank.. i have respect for all fishermen
    i catfish as well as bass fish, i fish hamilton co parks

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    one time i was at the lake and getting ready to back the boat up. i had been tossing for shad on the ramp. and these 2 guys were bass fishing along the bank. just as i loaded the shad net up and got in the truck and was in reverse they trolled right at the mouth of ramp. i started easing back. they just kept flipping lures. after about 15 seconds enough was enough. its a ramp. my blood was 1,000,000 degrees and i just hit the gas. they almost fell going for the foot pedal to move. less to say when i stepped out of the truck bearded and pushing 6'300lbs they just slid along the bank and kept quiet.

when i am at full throddle (25mph in my 17' fish and ski) and someone is fishing i take a wide loop around them. i hate it when i get ran over with wakes.

by the way. sounds like you had a great time fishing that low river. i fish a lake most often. just dont get to the river much. i am planning some trips this season to the rock and the illinois.