Bass fishing - I need help

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by isaiahedwards, May 31, 2007.

1. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    ok guys.. i need help when i go bass fishing i try different rods like my baitcast or spinner.... went to winton woods
    i had major backlash... i might use my spinner also i've tried different lures nothings working tried my rat-l trap
    spinnerbait a terminator a white jig... the bass must be stubborn. i'm yet to land one i'm getting frustraited
    any tips will help

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    well first things first. it's obvious you need help if you're bass fishing. good luck finding help here with this one. lol. (catfish1.com) (the brotherhood of catfishermen) i think they blackballed the last guy who posted an avatar pic of a bass. truth is, we all bass fish........ for bait! lol, no offense intended..

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    When I bass fish I mostly use soft plastic worms, best lure in town.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'll give you two suggestions. If you do not have then buy these two lures. Buy a Manns 1 minus in the color of fire shad. Its is chart in color. Use this bait to cast and retrieve. Sometimes fast sometimes slow. Stop and start several times.This bait will only go one foot deep. The rattles or action triggers the fish. The second item is a topwater bait. It's called a Pop-R by rebel bait company. I like the 3/8 oz size in shad/blue back. Throw it out, put your rod tip down and pop it back. Pop-Pop-stop-Pop all the way in. This info plus the worm info you have already read in another post. should get you started.:lol::big_smile:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you are after the hawgs you gotta fish an artificial worm or a jig and pig.
    Those are the consistent big fish producers.
    I fish 6-10 inch worms. Dont be fooled. I've caught many bass under a pound on a 10" worm. I use the Texas and Carolina rigs with a 5/0 wide gap Gamakatsu worm hook. Two reasons. They hook better and you'll rarely have a gut hook.
    You dont need every color under the rainbow either. Start off with the tried and true purple worm or purple firetail. Get an earth tone like a pumpkinseed and something red/charltreuse like the tomato worm.
    You are already well on your way.
    In the early mornings or late evenings try a floating worm. It really dont matter which one if the fish are biting but loud colors like methiolate, bubblegum, and yellow seem to produce well for me.

Bass fishing is a mental game. Thats why alot of folks have a hard time with it or dont like it.
    Its mentally as well as physically challenging. Its also a true test of one's confidence in his fishing abilities. Its capable of humbling you real quick.

6. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    thanks mark and mickey... i'll try those.. a costumer at dicks told
    me bass were hitting on pumpkinseed worms and watermelon flake

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The best colors are going to be determined by the water itself.
    Now at night the absolute best color to use in any water is BLACK.

We could have ponds side by side that produced with totally different colors.
    I would pick 3 or 4 colors for a variety.

I would also try throwing a lizzard. Its a good spring time bait particularly but it will produce through the summer as well. I do believe bass bed more then once and will bed as long as the water temperatures and water level are favorable.
    I caught one of the biggest bass I ever caught prefishing for a tournament August 19th 1989. That fish was full of eggs and was bedding on a stump row in 10 feet of water on a large resevoir. That was the best day I ever had bass fishing and I was just hitting a spot, catch a fish or get a bite and move somewhere else. Everything I boated that day and it was several limits was over 6 pounds.
    Definately the best day I've ever had on a large resevoir. It didnt matter where I chunked a worm in the lake it seemed.
    Resevoir fishing is so much different then pond fishing especially if the water level goes up and down due to generating power or releasing water.
    The bass have learned that they have to bed deeper.

Remember I said bass fishing would humble you real quick? After feeling like I was fishing on the same level as the pros that day I ZEROED in the tournament the next week. The pattern I was on went away, far away.
    Remember the mental game I mentioned? Mentally I couldnt forget the fish in prefishing and stuck with a dead pattern too long. My mind ultimately defeated itself.

8. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I am a bass man by nature, and have converted to a catman by the BOC BROTHERS. THE absolute best worm you can fish is a BERKLEY POWERBAIT 7" worm in BLUE FLECK!!!!!! I have caught more fish all over the nation!!! IT is my GRAVY bait and has never failed me. Fish this texas rigged, or with a sliding weight directly to the hook. fish it slow, find a bank that drops to 15 feet in a 45 degree plane, cast to the bank and wait until you feel a TAP-TAP, reel down and set the meat. GURANTEED to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:big_smile:

9. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i have berkley 7'' powerbait blue fleck.. i'll try that next time i'm out
    thanks guys for the tips

10. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    In the summertime 85% of the time I use soft plastics. I like to use topwater early and late and crankbaits the rest of the time. Get you some Kinami flashes in chart/white and you will be set. You can get them at walmart. I always catch fish on that bait.

11. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    went to BPS and asked if they had red/chartreuse the guy never
    heard of it... went to wal-mart got the last fireshad by manns
    hopefully i can pickup pumpkin seed tomorrow at dicks
    or junebug.. i'll try purple as well

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Gary,

All that I have to say is that, I just got me a "Senko Soft Plasic Kit" about two years ago
    (And other members know what i'm talking about & back me up on this one)
    I have been getting 4 to 10 pounders ever since,
    :confident:
    and I have the photos to prove it too. :wink:
    (Check them out.)

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

Attached Files:

13. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    bert sweet looking fish... next time i'm out i'm gonna get my
    berkley powerbait and give it a shot.. with a little luck and prayer
    i'll catch something... i take my camera with me hoping to catch
    something.. so i can show my catch

14. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    go simple. fish around structure, such as fallen trees, weeds, docks, ect. in the summer fish shallow. live bait will more often than not dramiticaly increase your hookups. good luck

15. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark J is right, some days you can go out and impress the heck out of yourself and feel like a pro, and other days you just want to give up and never bass fish again. We all have our good days on the water, but like a lot of people said, you cant go wrong with a power worm.

16. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i got me some manns redshad sunday i'll try them

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    As far as worm brands I've always been a fan of Culprit, The Gene Lerew salt craws, the Sluggo, and Danny Joe's floating worms.
    I'll take on anybody anywhere with those 4.
    Those salt craws rarely get dropped when they get a taste of that impregnated salt granule.
    The floating worms and Sluggos are the most fun to fish topwater bait to me. You can make those things dance from the wild to the mild depending on how the bite is and how you rig them.

I love soft plastics.

18. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    brothers you have been very helpful... i want to thank you
    so i can land the big one and hope to share with you guys

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I remember a time when red on wood was a kick butt take no prisoners pattern for me on Harris lake. That was an awesome run.
    Eventually I wound up being a spy with a flyrod and a pair of binocluars to figure out how another guy was taking the dough home week after week. Posing as a bird watcher with a spotting scope works too.
    Sometimes you have to radically change your appearance to learn:lol:

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you ever venture to the tarheel state, dad has the ultimate trophy pond about 5 acres in size with black water. I'll see that you get on it. I have a key:big_smile: