Bass fishing at night

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Katfish Kern, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Has anyone gone soley fishing for bass at night? I know we all have gone for cats, crappie, and anything else that would bite. But has anybody just gone after bass at night? It's so dang hot now, it's like breathin molassas. And I was thinking about hitting the lakes at night.

2. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    I have done alot of bass nite fishin, same as in the day, except the bass are shallower, love to fish the humps, points , and moss beds. I love to fish buzzbaits over the moss. I usually fish worms, crankbaits , and buzz baits over the humps and points. Jitterbugs and popr's are also good nite baits.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post and add one thing. I have found that the best color to use at night is black. I have used the Magnum (Muskie) Jitterbug in black to catch some very large bass at night as well as Lunker Lure black Flatshad buss baits.

4. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    A black spinnerbait with a big colorado blade slow rolling works great as does a three winged buzzbait worked just slow enough to keep it above water.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I love to bassfish at nite. Usually pitch a gig or colorado blade spinner bait. Also like to crank a DD22 on bluff rock and brush piles.

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have not bass fished in years, but my biggest bass all came at night multiple fish in the 10+lb class. Had good luck on worms, spinner baits, buzz baits, devil horse reeled not jerked, and jitter bugs. The #1 bait was the jitter bug in the biggest size you could get Muskie and the jitter stick. The biggest jitter stick was the big fish killer, it called them out thrown down the bank or out in open water over grass it just got the big summer bass at night, and I'm not even sure if it's still available? But the last one I had is up about 25ft in a beech tree lake side due to a misjudged night cast.

7. cumberlandgillman

cumberlandgillman New Member

State:
    KY
    Bass fishing is out for me now:big_smile:

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i fish for bass at night.i fish beaver lake in arkansas and we have a lot of tournaments at night. i fish 2 colors black and blue. i do a lot of jig fishing. i love to flip lighted boat docks . i also throw a lot of creature baits. one of my favorites is gene larews hoo daddy. zoom blueberry salt craws work well texas rigged. slowrolling spinner baits along deep ledges and channel edges is another good tactic. go on out and give it a try, your gonna like it .

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    OF ALL THE BASS FISHING IVE DONE ITS BEEN AT NIGHT

I STRIPER FISH OFF A PIER USING LIVE SHAD SO YA ONLY CATCH THE SHAD OUT AT NIGHT

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

10. MattE

MattE New Member

State:
    Pike County, Ky
    I watched on TV that they would put a spot light on their boat that they would shine in the water and it would attract small minnows to the surface, which would attract bass below them to feed. Then they would drop there bait in the water. It seemed to work real well.

I don't know if this is legal?

11. AllenM

AllenM Guest

In my own experience, running roostertails during the day, largmouths hit left and right, but come dark the bite falls off to nothing on them. I'll have to try some bigger surface baits at night and see what happens next time I'm out night fishing for cats. I know striper prefer to feed at or after dusk from what everyone tells me around here, but the striper bite has been for crap in the Sac river this far north, and I have no one to go out there with anyhow, so I haven't made much of an effort to get out there and catch any. Actually never caught a srtiper, so it would be nice to do it some day. But anyhow, I'll throw some bigger topwater baits out there at the lake next time I'm catfishing and see if anything bites. Thanks for the advice to all who posted replies.

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

When it gets real hot up here in August. I'll take some crawlers at night and fish them about 2-3' below a bobber. I will catch and release 30 - 50 a night. They will flat tear up a crawler. Fish over sumerged weed beds.

13. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Gave it a shot last night while I was out at the lake, but didn't get so much as a nibble. Tried hanging a crawler off a bobber, as well as running a topwater frog and a buzzbait, but nothing. The back half of the lake is mostly mud and clay bottom with little to no vegitation, but there were some points and drop offs where I was trying it. Had lots of little bullhead and baby channel cats nibbling my bait and caught a half pound bullhead, but that was all I got for 6 houirs of my time invested on the bank.

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do this from a boat, water is about 18' deep, and that grass comes within 6' of the top. You need a boat.

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    never really bass fished much...unless im fishing for bait!!!lol:wink:

16. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    I do alot in winter and spring in the hot hole here but never went there in the summer. I think I will give it a try :roll_eyes: