Bass Experts, Help!!

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by pylodictis, Feb 6, 2008.

1. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    This past fall while fishing for bluegills on the Monongahela, downtown Pgh. I caught a few smallies and a white bass. The white measured 14.5 inches, which wasn't much bigger than the smallies, but months later someone told me that white bass usually don't get near as big as smallmouth. Is that a big white for this area? I'm wondering if it was a mistake not to get a picture of it.

BTW, I was using waxworms, a #14 dry fly hook, and 2lb leader.

Also, what do you think my chances are of catching a largemouth in this area? Any tips? I guess the #14 hook wouldn't be a good idea. :roll_eyes:

Thanks,

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Brian,
    I can't help you on all of your questions but I can tell you that you should ALWAYS take photos, perhaps with a ruler in the photo too, of any fish you think might be different or a record, ect.
    In situations like you just described, film is cheap compared to having No Proof at all or at least a photo, preferably with COLOR film to refer to or to send in to your Conservation Department for verification purposes because most of these agencies don't have the resources to return your photo unless you include a Self Addressed Envelope with the correct postage already on the envelope.
    Or, if your using one of those digital cameras then download it to your photo settings on your printer and make more than one copy. That way you won't have to ask for the photo back and would more likely be able to get a quicker answer if you send it in to your Conservation Department.
    As I mentioned earlier, I can't help you with your other questions but I am positive you will be getting answer posts within a couple of days that you will be able to get the information you need. :wink:
    Hope this helps you with at least part of your questions.:big_smile:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

3. BRIANL

BRIANL New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    well i dont know about your area, but in southern illinois where im from i catch quite a few white bass that are 14" long my personal best is 18-1/2" that weighd 4-1/2lbs. and i always try to take as many pics. as possible and digital cameras are getting cheaper and you can always delete it later. i attached a pic of my best day white bass fishing we kept 130 and in only 4 hours. and nothing under 10"

Attached Files:

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A good white bass averages 14-17" long. We used to catch a bunch that size off the Mississippi River along the Iowa/Wisconsin border. Smallmouth and white bass generally are more current oriented and like cooler water temps then largermouth, but don't count out there being any largemouth there. I've caught all three on many occassions.

5. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    hi brian, that';s a decent sized white bass for my area. however the smallies do tend to range a bit bigger. always take pictures!!!! i just like lookin':roll_eyes:.. and as for large mouth youre gonna need bigger stuff( line, lure, etc.) you might wanna try some spinners, buzz-bait, or large plastics.. large mouth are kinda fun like that, throw in some big ugly thing that makes alot of noise and flash , just piss em off and theyll hit it hard!! good luck and FISH-ON-BROTHERS!!!!!!!!

6. rswell2

rswell2 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The thing about hybrids is that size doesn't really matter. They'll hit like a brick and won't stop until you throw them on the grill. Here is a pic of my brother and some of his friends from last spring.

I can't wait until they start running in March/April. I'm looking to take a few days off and wear out a few reels.

Be careful around the three rivers area though:

http://www.chronicle.pitt.edu/?p=1044

Attached Files:

7. BRIANL

BRIANL New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    STEPHEN
    ARE THOSE ALL HYBRIDS IN THAT PICK OR ARE ANY OF THEM WHITE BASS?
    THOSE ARE SOME NICE FISH AND BOY THEY NEVER GIVE UP:big_smile:

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    We get lots of 2 - 3 lb whitebass sows here during the annual spawning migration in the river....mixed in with Wiper. (My PB wiper is 13 lb...although I have seen them over 20 lb in person)

The most reliable way to differentiate a WB from a hybrid is the tooth patch located on their tounge.

A white bass has one tooth patch on the back of its tongue.

A striper and a wiper both have two teeth patches on the back of their tounge.

The shape of a wipers head compared to a striper is also a good way to distinguish between those particular two.

As far as a tip for catching big largemouth...you've already caught some bait with the perch.

Now...Downsize...and fish the edges of the water with a very small hook and a chunk of worm to get some 2" - 5" bluegill...hook one below the dorsal fin with the appropriate sized hook of your choice...attach a float...and a small split shot to keep the little bugger down...and toss it out by a weed bed, rocks, or woody structure.

You might be suprised what you'll catch.

If there's already perch in there...you can bet that every predator species already has them on their radar...as well as their menu. :wink:

9. rswell2

rswell2 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think these were actually the larger hybrids of the day. I can't seem to find the white bass pictures.

10. captain kirko

captain kirko New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Pylodictis,

White bass in my area generally are a bit larger than smallmouths, typically ranging in the 2lbs. to 4lbs. range.

larger white bass have been taken in rivers and lakes with weights over 15lbs but are seldom seen due to overfishing but they are there.

I say with data seen, smallmouth are considerably smaller in gross weight, however, the numbers appear to catch up for the white bass due to amount of fish taken per acre of fish.

Large mouth are taken with a vast array of tackle, If I were a beginner I would seek out advise and wisdom with a good or even proven great guide to help turn a furstrating day into a exciting large mouth dream come true event, THE COSTS is minisqual versis the learning experience.

I will say this in hopes this helps, muddy water hold tight to wood close to drop offs, clear water clear day deep water is your friend, always pay attention to the birds and the water surface, rain is your guide.

Be patient, slow down, rest your tired feet, enjoy watching your new fishing pole going into the water:wink:!

ALWAYS FEED AND HELP THE NEEDY EXPECIALLY THE OLD AND THE WEAK
    <<< FOR IT IS YOU WHOM WILL GRAY AND HIM WILL REPAY YOUR GOOD DEED >>>.

11. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I just moved here to Texas a few yrs ago from Pittsburgh having moved there from Louisiana. Anyway yes theres a good chance of picking up a largemouth in the area your talking about. Try creek mouths and slews, anywhere where the current is sluggish like little pockets of water off the main river. Jerkbaits and plastic worms work good there. Good luck