Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fishing for bluegill the other day, my daughter got a couple smallmouths.
She offered them to a guy fishing for flathead bait with a cast net, but he said he couldn't use them because there's a $150 fine for doing that.
Now, according to the regs in SC, it says the size limit on bass is 12", but it seems like it pertains to largemouths, and only on the Georgia side of the Savannah, and a few SC lakes- not the Saluda river.
For one thing, I don't know if too many smallmouths get over 12", and I'm curious if there's any regs on bass at all on the Saluda except for the catch limit of ten.

Also, are they any good for flathead bait if we are allowed to use 'em?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ive tried them several times all sizes .....white bass ave bait.....largemouth all sizes no luck ( think they must not taste to good to other fish) never caught a smallmouth but have watched Bill Dance catch several over 2 lbs. Saw Bill catch a 13 lb largemouth and lots of big channelcat also..uum i think hes my hero:confused2:

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
You are correct. I myself called DNR on this question. Most lakes/rivers do not have a size limit on bass being used for bait. You can use them on Saluda. I have had very good luck using tiny one's and I wouldn't pass up the chance to use one. I personally wouldn't cut up a big fish for bait, that's just me.

The regulations are listed as you said and that's pretty much it if your within the creel limits.

-Jim-

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Maybe he was getting bait to set some lines with.
From the 2007-2008 SCDNR Rules and Regulations

Bait
No game fish, live bait or any bait other than
bait listed below shall be used with trotlines, set
hooks and jugs: soap, doughballs,
cut fish (nongame
fish cut into at least three equal parts),
shrimp, grapes or meat scraps (shall not include
insects, worms and other invertebrates).

Possession of game fish or tackle designed to
catch game fish is prohibited while fishing traps,
trotlines, or other nongame fish devices except
cast nets and bows and arrows.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have caught several smallmouths in the 6# range on the rivers in Pittsburgh and on Lake Erie. 6# smallmouth puts up a great fight. I would think if they call out a limit of 12" on bass it would cover smallmouths unless specified.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If he was throwing a cast net and no fishing rods they can and would fine him for have game fish. You can't take game fish with a cast net and its best if you have game fish, they have hook marks in their mouth, if you have a cast net with you diffenantly want hook marks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You are correct. I myself called DNR on this question. Most lakes/rivers do not have a size limit on bass being used for bait. You can use them on Saluda. I have had very good luck using tiny one's and I wouldn't pass up the chance to use one. I personally wouldn't cut up a big fish for bait, that's just me.

The regulations are listed as you said and that's pretty much it if your within the creel limits.

-Jim-
that is a horse:crazy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.