bass ackward impeller

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by drpepper, Apr 25, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm just double checkin'... If :embarassed:somebody:embarassed: were to stick an impeller on with the "tines" rotated into the wrong direction,, they will "Right themself" when the engine starts.... Right? Bubbcat?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yes. i know for certain he'll tell ya the same.:wink:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It should. All I have ever seen did

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    But why would you want to put one in backwards anyhow? LOL

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'm with Awshucks,if you have taken an old one out why put it back?:smile2:put a new non "directional" one in.You might just snap one of the arms of by flexing it in the opposite direction.:smile2::wink:

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    naw.. the impeller is new... but I can't recall which way I rotated the shaft when I installed it into the housing iz all, and I'm trying to figure out if I gotta go through the big pain in the @ss of re-doing it.... Bubba says "not to worry about it"

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    fire it up in a tub or make sure ya check as soon as ya fire it up at the water to make sure of the circulation. should be fine.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gotta interesting little story here that caused me to re-learn a lesson I learned along time ago... alway, ALWAYS look real close @ your new parts.

The water pump didnt pump... so I figure "well, I've got the only impeller that won't right itself if ya put the tines in backwards"... NOT surpised, it's my luck...

Well when I drained the gear oil out to redo the whole thing, I noticed water in the lower unit.... lots of it!

Long story short... I had the wrong pump housing, It looked indentical... but as I was trying to figure out how the heck oil got into the lower unit, I carefully examined EVERYTHING... looking for the passage the water could have took to get into the case... :confused2: Finally, I found it!

A small factory hole that was drilled into the side of the new lower pump housing that wasnt there on the old housing and that hole let water poured out right on top of the driveshaft bearing and into the case:angry:

Oh yeah... the impeller tines where rotated the right way, lmao:eek:oooh::smile2::sad2::angry::embarassed: < I like these faces, they work out real good for me right now!

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know there are some real motor heads on this forum in addition to Bubba. Maybe it's an outboard thing. I have very limited experience on outboards. I've worked on a lot of I/O drives. Mercrusier is very specific on having the impeller twisted the right direction. The cup has to be pointed towards the output. So it pushes towards the outlet. I don't see how an impeller could twist forward if installed backwards. Just curious about this.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well it seems I've got bigger problems then just a backward impeller... I got another pump kit and put it on- started it up and I'm STILL getting tons of water in my lower unit, BUT HOW? A simple waterpump R&R is starting to really bum me out. only way I see for water to get in the case is to leak around the driveshaft seal or the big O-ring in the bottom pump housing.... but with the lower unit off, I put the hose on it to see if I could notice water escape the housing.... I didnt. AND it didnt get into the case doin' it that way either, so I'm scratchin' my head on this!

I'm hoping it's just a wrong part (again) thats causing the problem somehow... this time when I took it all back a part The new impeller was fried and the housing looked a little melted... but the seal was good around the shaft and It DID pump water, and I only took I back apart because there was water in the lower unit- just like the one before... I didnt expect the waterpump parts to be "smoked" though, I don't get it... What are ways water can get into the lower unit by just running the motor (out of gear) with a hose on it? anyone?

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man i would have to be there on that one. ive only changed em in a couple motors models that ive owned. sounds like either something simple or on wrong or you have major problems.

hope someone can get that figured out for ya. never had this type of problem. weird. becouse if it was pumping water it shoild not have fried. one word of advise. rub a lil vasilene on it nex time if ya figure out this water problem. the time it took to suck water dry after installation may have caused it to overheat. yet it almost sounds like the impellor was to tight in the housing. like it was to big.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The tube from your pump to your engine is not in position. It happens!!!

Pull the lower unit again and make sure your pick up tube is clear. Reassemble it and make sure the tube goes into the pump housing.

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well, even if the tube wasnt in position water would STILL enter the waterpump and "lubricate" the pump.... and it DID pee water the entire time I had the motor running....
    Anyway, It was as I expected, the wrong housing, allowing water to enter the lower unit around the O-ring on the base of the pump because the housing was Too small. I STILL had to pay cost on another pump... even though they looked it up TWICE and STILL give me the wrong part.... and the "old pump" was 16 bucks more than the right one! the difference in the two was so small the part guy didnt see it (I did... He didnt) and it took a mechanic to agree with me it was the wrong part before they finally looked-up the right one (with the mechanics help)
    Oh well!