Basketball eating flathead catfish...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Believer, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I know most if not all of you have seen that pic at one time or another.
    My question is this... How much do you think it weighs?
    I'm guessing at least 30 lbs.

Eric

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Itd have to be bigger than that for a basketball id think. Id guess 40-50#

According to snopes.com

"Driver carefully deflated the ball. Estimated at 50 pounds, the fish swam toward the deepest part of the lake.
    "

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I am guessing that is a good 50+ pound flathead. That is one big fish brother.

4. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    depends on the size of the ball, whether it be a full sized basketball or like a kid size on or something. Kid sized, a 30 pounder could eat, full size, at least 50

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

i'll guess 40-50 lbs

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If you guys are talking about the one here in Wichita last year, I saw him, and he was a little over 35 lbs, or between 35-40 lbs. The basketball was a youth size ball. My father in law actually dug the lake it was caught in about 20 years ago, and I have a pretty good idea who put the flathead in there as well, but I won't comment on that! lol:lol:

7. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    In the pictures I've seen, it does look like a youth size ball.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Basketball eating flathead...

You mean to tell me that a basketball ate a flathead? No way,thats just crazy!!! :big_smile:

9. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    *GIGGLE* Are any of us safe from this monster?
    Who will protect the children! LOL
    _

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Now John you know that aint what I meant. :tounge_out:

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
  12. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    it was probably just camera effect and all the thing probably weighed 2lbs people can do any thing with todays technology lol

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL, it was between 35-40. Flathead have to be one of the hardest fish to judge weight of there is. I was there when he turned it lose, and saw it first hand, is was about 35" long, and fat as a tick!

Now, for as to how that lake go to have flatheads. I chuckle every time I hear or tell this story. That land used to belong to a buddy of mine's family. The developer came in, bought the land, with the agreement that by buddie's family would still be able to fish there. Well after about 10 years, the developer started building houses, and selling off the lots. Pretty soon the lake was surrounded by houses pretty much all the way around, and the homeowner's assosiation passed a by-law not allowing anyone to fish that was not a home owner, or their guest. This was not really a big deal, as the area had become pretty much "city" by now anyway, and who wants to fish in someone's back yard? It still kind of ate at my buddy a little though, as his family was responsible for most of the fish in there from their stocking it for all those years. The homeowners would brag about all the crappie and bass that were in the lake, so one night, after a beer filled night on the river, my buddy and his brother in law took 12 large flatheads they had caught, and turned them loose in the lake! LOL Their reasoning was the flathead would take care of the crappie and bass population and "teach" them a lesson. I don't know if it worked or not, but that is at least how SOME of the flatheads got in there.

My father in law swears there are some bigger than that in there, when he dug the lake out (actually just reshaped it and made it larger) years ago, he said they saw some huge catfish and carp in there.