Basket rack? Whats it mean in reference to a deer?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by stinkbaitman, Oct 7, 2007.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    hey im just wondering, ive heard the term "basket rack" used to describe some deer but whats it really mean?

2. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    In my area it is a term used to describe a young buck with a small, narrow, compact rack of 6 to 10 short points.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Pretty close to the same here. Where I hunt, they were considered inferior and we were told to thin them out so they don't pass on their genes. That was many years ago. We have since converted over our way of thinking and believe they are merely young potential bucks and let them live. It is only one aspect of our QDM program. First, about 10 years ago, we started the 8 points or better rule, with not even button bucks allowed to be shot. Recently, we started allowing buttons, due to their tendency to leave the area they were born in. We are in the process of extending our QDM to include antler spread, if we can figure out a way to reliably judge other than say the antlers must be past the ears. We haven't seen a basket rack in several years, and even then, it's only been the occasional one since we started the program.

4. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    right on tom ,let them walk,last year i saw two bucks ,one was a magnificient 160 class buck his rack was very narrow but grew straight up very tall,i would hate to think of someone culling that buck thinking he was a inferior basket rack buck.the other buck was a big mature buck with only six points,his back tines were over twelve inches long and he had an inside spread over twenty inches,inferior my ass,

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I want some one to tag one of these runts and then photo him next year!! 10-1 he is same scrawny little basket rack!! Button racks different story basket rack is a freak if he has got good grub!!! Jut my opinion!!

6. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i understand scrawny,but the two bucks mentioned above very well could have been shot or culled by some.if the big buck i mentioned only had an 12 to 15 inch spread at 5years or more imagine how narrow he was at 1.5- 2.5 he was only an 8 pointer.and the big six pointer wonder what he looked like as a young buck,would he have been culled.

7. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
  8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    And dont forget we all have different baskets!!!!:wink:

9. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    What about the 1 1/2 year olds with baskets racks? Inferior? Not always. I agree that 3 1/2 years and older deer with small basket racks are inferior as far as antler genetics.