Basic motor questions

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Chief, May 5, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    just bought a74 merc 40 4hp. above the bracket where you mount it to the boat is has a black switch that says "TROLL" what is this for? also i've looked the motor over and i cant find an off switch any ideas? also is the throttle supposed to stay when you turn it or is it supposed to spring back? and finally its got a remote fuel setup how many times do i need to squeeze the bulb? oh wait i got more..lol do i have to take the whole lower unit off to get to the impeller? and what is a shear pin?

2. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    someone on here has to know atleast something!!!!!!!!

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I always squeeze the bulb till it's full. The shear pin is in the prop. It will "shear off" when you hit a rock, log or whatever to keep from doing damage to the prop. Don't know about the rest of those questions.

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'll do my best here. The black "switch" is it an electrical switch or mechanical lever. Alot of outboards have a lever you push right around the transom mount that allows you to trim the motor up "shallow drive/troll" is what I think you are looking for. The throttle adjust I "think" should return on its own if it's out of the water/not running. When it is running it should return to the slow position on it's own. On the bulb, just squeeze it a few times. assuming the impeller is the "prop" no you shouldn't need to take the whole L/U off to get to it. A shear pin is made to break/shear before a shaft/prop gives.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First.I have never owned or operated one of these motors.I have fished with a man who did have one about 30 years ago.I have fairly good,"long term memory"at times,but awful"short term".I bought one of these motors,and traded it new and unused to this elderly man for a new and unused 9.9 as he could not handle the weight of the larger motor.His idea and he would accept no money in exchange.I will try to help you.Hope enough of my memory is correct to do so.See if you can turn or rotate that "black Switch".I think that it is a Slow speed or idle control,to control your trolling speed.You also turned it up to fast or high to start your motor and then turned it back down.I believe clockwise is faster.Counter clockwise is slower.Always turn it down to the SLOWEST to shift gears.IF it will also pull out and push in,that will be your choke.(Out=choke on.In=choke off.)Check the very end of your tiller handle for a "off button".Throttle should go back to idle when released.This is for safety.Some motors have a friction device that can be adjusted to loosen or tighten this.Squeeze the bulb till it gets firm.You have to take the lower unit or "foot" off to get to the water pump impeller.I do hope some of this may be of help.Keep up the good work (searching for answers).peewee-williams

6. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for the help fellas. i havent had the chance to start it up yet. my old primer bulb had a hole in it so i'm waitin on a new one. out of the water the throttle is real sticky so i guess i need to work on it some. no off switch on the end of it either...lol too bad it didnt come with a manual....i didnt think boat motors were so complex

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    You can wire an "off" switch up to the coil if you don't have one. Or you can just pull the choke out to kill the motor. I'd recomend getting a kill switch wired up to it.

8. FishinChris

FishinChris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would also recomend checking to see what kind of shear pin it takes and keep another one or in our case 4-5 :big_smile: with you when your out.

9. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i've looked all around the prop and i dont see any shear pin. do i have to take something off?

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Clayton, Have you tried the Mercury web site? Earlier in the year I bought an older boat and motor, the motor was a Nissan and I went to their web site and downloaded an operator's manual for it. Might be worth a try?

ST

11. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i didnt see anything on the merc website about a free download if you still have the web address that would be nice. i really wanna get this motor going dang it.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Well I Can't Help You With All The Questions, But Here's A Few Answers. A Shear Pin Is Where The Propeller Mounts To The Shaft, It Is Designed To "Shear" If In the Event You Would Hit Something Solid It Would Break Instead Of Damaging The Lower Unit.

Most Of the Propellers Nowadays Have Rubber Mounted Hubs In Them, Which Serve The Same Purpose.

Now As Far As The Primer Bulb Issue Goes, That Will Be Determined On How Far Your Fuel Tank Is Away From Your Engine And The Diameter Of The Fuel Line. My Engine Has A One-Way Check Valve In The Fitting To Help Eliminate Any Drainback Issues.

HTH, Elliot

13. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Search for MERCURY MARINE,Then products,then outboards,then after the list of motors you will find it.Also,phone at(920)929-5110 E-Mail at MercPub@mercmarine.com Luck,peewee-williams

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Look up OldMercs.com They claim to have manuals and some parts.Luck.peewee-williams

15. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Look at back of propeler. ther may be a nut or a cap held on with a catter key if so by removing this you should be able to access shear pin. most boat dealers and some auto parts sstores carry manuals. good luck

cat:0a23: ch ya later