baseball cards

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by South Grand Laker, Dec 15, 2007.

1. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm thinking of selling a baseball collection with cards dating from the 50's to cards to the early 90's and was just wondering if anybody knows of a site that tells values of sets or individual cards or anything like that or if anybody has any advice on how to sell them, card shops?? any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Your best bet would be to go to a card shop and get a price book. Not much online unless you want to buy a membership.

3. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Card prices are extremely low. The players went on strike in like 93 or 94 and found out that nobody cared anymore. I've got a Wade Boggs rookie card that was worth around $50 in '90-'91 Now it's about $12 or 13 bucks tops. I think EBAY equalized the market too.

4. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I think all the scandals going on right now and in recent past have some impact on the value of cards. Also everybody wants a memorbilia card or a rookie card. Not too much in the building of sets anymore. And yes E-bay has brought the value of cards down. I used to sell cards on E-bay a few years ago...but no more. E-bay has also hurt the card shops. One local shop closed last year. People can easily buy a card they want off E-bay rather than try to get it by buying packs.

5. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    WELL THATS what i'd figured ill have to let some card shop guy try rip me on some of my value cards, when i was a kid they had some kjnds of conventions i thought oh well

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Beckett's and E-Bay are the best. As others have posted, the market crashed in the 90's and never recovered. Overproduction and lack of interest hurt prices trememendously. Your best best is to sell your good cards individually on E-Bay. Most shop owners won't even offer half of market value. I've got a lot of cards from the 20's - 60's that are worth less today than they were 20 years ago. Good Luck!!!

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The one thing ya will find that holds true. Ain't none of em worth a thing till ya find someone that wants to pay for em. You should do well with the 50's and 60's cards but the rest will be touch and go. Good luck to ya.

8. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    well thanks for the info guys, i kinda thought ebay but have been skeptical about it since i never done anything on their don't know if it is a hastle or not, so i'll look into it, what are the chances of the market ever going back up or has it gone to hell and gonna get worse with all the steroid issues? do you thank that hurts?

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Cards pre-1980 or so are still worth some money. You might try throwing several cards together and sell them as a lot. For example, put a 1952 and 1956 Topps Warren Spahn together in one auction. I sold quite a few cards about 5 years ago doing it this way. If you have some really valuable old cards, it might be worth getting them professionally graded. Many people (including myself) are hesitant to buy non-graded cards because the sellers self-assessment of the condition is often way off.

10. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    you can go online and put in pricing or something and look
    up the cards u think are worth the most