Bartlett

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by catfishin wife, Aug 25, 2008.

1. catfishin wife

catfishin wife New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey everyone... new here... we love catfishing... but don't have a lot of luck...
    This weekend we headed out to Horseshoe Lake, just below the dam... to Catfish Point. But it was too crowded so we drove along the Verde River there below the lake... didn't find anything satisfactory.. so we headed over to Bartlett.

We've had luck chumming the water at Bartlett Flats (over on the north side) with canned catfood, then fishing with chicken liver. Bartlett Flats was closed off... or flooded, (depending on how you looked at it :)

There are a few party areas/gazebos bear a parking lot, we pulled in there and walked down to the shore and as far away as possible from the groups that were there. Chummed the water, had our 4 year old throw in his line and he caught something within 5 minutes... It was a carp, but still fun for him. The next time he threw it in, he caught a tiny little cat... he had a small hook and a medium weight. I had a medium hook/medium weight and I got bite, but hooked nothing.

Has anyone been to Catfish Point at Horseshoe? Its 9 miles of dirt road that actually becomes the wash in some parts... But it's worth it if you can get there before everyone else does.

Where are the best spots on Bartlett in your opinion?

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!! NOT FAMILIAR WITH THAT AREA BUT ARE BROTHERS IM SURE WILL BE ALONG SHORTLY TO HELP WELCOME SISTER!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

4. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If you dont have a boat, its not even worth going in my opinion. All the shore accessible spots are overfished and overcrowded. Im about to take up model building or bowling instead of fishing.

5. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Don't despair. Things will improve for shore fishing when the lake is drawn down again.

Psssst - the best kept secret for shore fishing is fall fishing. October and November are outstanding... the crowds are gone, and the fish still bite.

6. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome to the BOC.. I bothers me to think of 9 miles on a dirt road and running into a crowd, and I am sitting at my computer. I have not gone to Horseshoe area yet, just checked out Bartlett lake one day but did not fish.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Corinne!

8. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    :0a25: Welcome to the BOC

9. badben345

badben345 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    welcome to the boc!

i have been below the dam many times. my bro has landed a few above 50 lbs there. but latley, the partying and people make it a paine to do some serious fishing there. the last time i went out there, we had to cross in a canoe to the otehr side. then hike down river about a mile. didnt get nothing tho. but, that dont mean they arent there!

Ben

10. RickE

RickE New Member

State:
    AZ
    I just spent the night at Bartlett, just before the no wake zone, north side, at the upper end of the lake. Don't know what I did wrong, but no runs the whole night.......Is that not a good place? Also, had trouble keeping bluegills alive once hooked .......Any "hot spot" suggestions for Bartlett. Never have caught a large flathead......Sure am looking forward to it............

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC & good luck!

12. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Rick, how deep were you fishing and how were you hooking your gills??? I was there 4 weeks ago and caught them in 5-7 ft right next to the shoreline. I have been hooking my gills through the eyes with a 9/0 circle hook and a 2 ounce sliding sinker. I was father upriver then you were maybe 2 miles or so. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

13. RickE

RickE New Member

State:
    AZ
    I was fishing 20 feet deep +/-. Hooked the gills behind/below the dorsal fin and also tried just through the mouth. None stayed alive linger that an hour or two. Is up river better than on the main lake body at Bartlett?
    Thanks for the help!
    Rick

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to tha BOC hope you will enjoy it and your time will come when you will catch that bigum

15. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Rick, I dont know about which is better to fish ''lake or river''. I have only fished the river and its been good to me so far. I am thinking you are fishing to deep, try fishing shallower say 5 -10ft max the next time you go. Good luck dude.

16. RickE

RickE New Member

State:
    AZ
    Thanks Anthony.

One final question: Are the large flatheads good to eat?

Rick

17. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The larger ones collect metals. Not like olympic athletes, but like tuna.
    The bigger they are, the longer they collect arsenic, DDT, mercury, and lead. Good times.

18. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    So......Thats what happened to you. OK, now i understand.

19. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good one Chummer!!

20. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Actually, I used to chew on lead sinkers when I was a kid. Didnt harm me at all.:eek:oooh: