Bartlett

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by micah, Jun 29, 2006.

1. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Well, I really stunck it up Monday night. There were some guy's beached right where I was going to fish.
    I ended up fishing a hole in the river that I graphed last week. I had 3 runs. 1 with a live carp, one with a blue gill and one with cut carp. The one on the live carp and the cut carp I hooked for about 10 seconds each. Both ran right for the same cover and severed my line each time. I've got 65 lb braided line. It seemed to get cut real easy. What a rush that is hearing those bad boys strip line like it's nothing. I guess I'll just have to keep trying. I got hit on the blue gill but I think I tried to set the hook to fast.
    Should I wait for the second run before I set the hook or during the first run?????????????

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    IMHO I wait for a short time to see if they pick it up again. I have experienced a very short run followed by another run several moments later. I will generally wait about 15min to see if they were just taste testing. If nothing happens I will reel in and rebait. I have also had luck reeling in about 3-4 foot of line then let it sit. I am not sure if the movement releases bood and what not into the water but this tatic has worked for me on several occasions. Hope this helps. If you are having truoble setting the hook try circle hooks and just let the fish load up the pole. I have found my sucess rate has gone up since I switched to circles.

3. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Cirlcle hooks are all I've been using and the temptation to set the hook is hard to manage. When a cat takes that bait and if he takes it good wouldn't it be better to have a normal hook that you can set. I understand the concept of the circle and it works great for certain application like drop shotting for bass but when a bait is swallowed wouldn't it be better to have an open ended hook as opposed to one that is designed to catch on the way out. After missing that first run that's all I could think about. ANY ENLIGHTING IDEAS on the matter???????????

4. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use nothing but circle hooks, and my percentage has been pretty good. You definitly don't want to set the hook, but have your rod in a holder so when the bait gets taken there is sufficient tension to drive the hook in. The beauty of circle hooks is that in addition to high hookup percentages, the hook is always in the corner of the mouth and easy to get out. Try different sizes to match the size of your bait and fish and find the combination that works for you.

5. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    If I get short run I will wait for a return also 15 minutes sounds about right. Circles are the best for releaseing a fish. I feel the J hook is the best for catching fish. Fish do get gut hooked but when you talk about percentages a needle sharp wide open 6/0 J will catch more fish. When using large baits like the 1-2lb carp or large chunk carp I like the 10/0 king kahle with 40lb mono leader.
    65/16 PowerPro is very strong but the rocks at Bartlett have done the same to me instantly cut my line. Mono is way better for structure I like 25-30 mainline when the battle is over a lot of times I will have to cut up to 30 feet of mainline off due to frays but at least it holds up.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

fight the temptation but if you are having that much trouble with circle hooks you may want to try an offset hook Eagle Claw has a good one out in bigger sizes fron 3/0-9/0 and they work well for me. just an idea for you to consider.

7. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    I've only lost a few fish with circle hooks , I always use them with live bait, and yes I really would like to set the hook but my catch rate is much higher with the circle. I use a ML 15-30# ugly stik tiger 7' spinning rod with a baitrunner and 50# power pro, I think the softer tip helps with circle hooks. Although I do use a large offset hook for my channel pole that I use cutbait on, not much luck with circle hooks using cut bait for some reason.

8. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The other thing to keep in mind is on the initial take and run it is very important not to let the fish fell any resistance. If they feel resitance they spit it and the game is over. tighten up after they stop the initial run to turn the bait and swallow it. When I started free spooling the initial run and then tightening up and setting my hookup rate skyrockted.

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Secret Agent,
    Changes in resistance will cause the cat to spit the bait, Most bait runners work well and they give the cat resistance.

10. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    That's why I switched to baitrunners , I didn't like having to mess with tightening the drag when the fish took off, nice to just turn the handle to switch from free spool to fighting drag.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Be careful with some of the okuma baitrunners as they have been known to lock up and the bait runner not run sometime. I had that problem with mine and I also heard of others having that same problem with the okuma one. The shimano baitrunners work much better.