Bartlett results 5/27 - 5/28

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Matthew Cook, May 29, 2006.

1. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    went fishing sat night and sun night at bartlett. first night was very hot and very windy. we tried to find a place out of the wind and settled in a little cove in the middle of the lake. put a bluegill in and about 11:30 caught a 12# flathead. spent all day sunday catching bait. we found a spot and set up our rods with bluegill and baby carp. we we fishing a shallow sandy bank with some rocks in deeper water. we were getting bites all night and probably could have limited out on catfish if we didn't run out of bait. it was just like one flathead after another. an unbelievable amount of fish. we even had one flathead strike the bait as soon as it hit the water. nothing huge though, the ranged from 4#-15#. we ran out of bait around 3:00am. thats when we got some sleep.
    here are some pics of the fish:

Attached Files:

2. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    here are some more pics of the flathead:
    all the fish were cpr, released to catch another day. i encourage you all to do the same.

Attached Files:

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Nice fish! I hope I can get the same luck next weekend. In your opinion, do you think I can get some luck down at Bartlett shorefishing? If so, where?

4. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    well, you can try to fish SB cove. i have caught some flatheads in that area. try to find sandy flats with deep water and boulders or rocks close by. right now the flatheads are real shallow. we caught all of our fish in about 10 feet or less. hope that helps
    good luck next weekend!

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Matt,

Those are some nice looking flatheads. It sounds like you had a pretty good time...even during one of the craziest weekends of the year.

Keep it up!!!

Martinman

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Nice job guys, it's been really good fishing lately at bartlett, I am now at the cpr level as we have a nice amount of fillets for the season. We ate some fresh flats this holiday weekend cooked cajun style, the quality is unbelievable. It hard to believe these fish are from fresh water the flavor is just the best. Also, I've been getting freight train runs which have turned out to be decent channels. Looking to get a salt river fish next.

7. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I have had good luck fishing the northern most area of SB cove. This time of year it may be hard to get into that area with all the campers and such. I have also had good luck shorefishing in the area just below the no wake bouyes on the river end. That area is now accessable to basically everybody (four wheel drive or not) since the Forest Service took out one of the spots that got alot of people stuck. Good luck!!!

8. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    probably headed out to bartlett again this weekend. might go for the whole weekend since the fishing has been so good. this time we are going to make sure we have enough bait.

9. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Matt try for your gills a little deeper, if you use a very small split shot with no bobber and start fairly deep and work your way into shore or visversa from a boat. I do a real slow jig and reel (like worming for bass)and using the smallest split allows for a great slow drift. The bigger gills I've been picking up around 8-20' deep along with some carp but have not caught them real small carp anymore they are starting to get chunky. The area across from the SB launch we talked about has a tiny island which is deep on one side with shade it's a gold mine for decent gills. Afternoon heat send the bigger gill a little deeper, in the mornings gills are right on shore as usual and same right before dark. Good luck to you, your pop and your bro. Fish On!

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Great Job Matt!
    * I will see you out there this weekend!
    ~ I am probably going to take Friday off and start Friday morning. I missed out last weekend, but this weekend.... I am going for the BIG DOGS!... (er.. I mean cats!)

11. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    looking forward to this weekend. not only is it a chance to go fishing but it is also my birthday. there wouldn't be a better gift in the the world than a night of good flathead fishing.
    see you out there Andy!:0a23:

12. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Happy Birthday Matt! I caught my biggest catfish on or near my birthday, I can't remember. Good luck!

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I will probably show up late in the day. I am bringing my two girls, and with 110 degree temps they will get pretty uncomfortable.

* Unless I can get one of those nifty awnings I saw you had last time.
    Hmmm, Going to Wally World!

* Happy B-Day dude!
    ~ Look forward to seeing the new lake record birthday cat you will catch!