Bartlett Lake Wednesday night.

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by micah, Jun 14, 2007.

1. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I went to Bartlett Wednesday and got out there kinda late. I caught 3 nice gills and about 7 small ones. I don't know what happened but my bait bucket is kinda deep and you relly can't see the fish until you net the out. I got to my spot near the no wake zone and found all but one of my baits dead. Pretty upsetting. THIS IS GOING TO SOUND CRAZY BUT OH WELL............The guys that run Phoenix fishing supply told me they had a guy come in with pics of a couple of flats over 30 #'s. They said he catches them at Bartlett trolling with Big crankbaits deep. I had left my big cranks at the house so I figured I would try it out with my medium cranks. I was trolling right before the no wake zone in about 10 to 16 foot deep going about 2 mph. I caught s flats one was about 4lbs. One was about 8lbs and one was about 12lbs. It got me kinda wondering. I only did it for about an hour ar an hour and a half.. It got me thinking..

Any opinions on that
    Micah

2. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    in fisherman ran an article about deep diving crankbaits for fltaheads probably 7-8 years ago... one situation was running back in forth in front of a rock rap damn and the other was they were running cranks along a river bottom that was 20-25 feet deep and letting it dig into the bottom

ask some bass fisherman that flip cast into trees and whatnot... they have had huge flatheads hit their lures

so yes,,,, flatheads will hit artificials.... just not often enough to get me to switch from livebait

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I've read an article in In-fishermen about cranking baits for flatheads. They had a picture of a guy who consistently catches 30+ lb flatheads on crankbaits in large reservoirs. Thats so cool that that worked out for you. Completely different kind of fishing and I can't imagine what it feels like to troll into a big flathead.

4. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Also Bartlett lake was up another couple feet. A couple years ago I caught a 30 # on a jig in a bass tournamen and I've also caught a 15 # droppshotting before. It was definantely nice but had i hooked into a big one i probably would have been in trouble. I was using ten # test. When the bigger one hit I slipped the motor into neutral and for a minute I thought I had put it in reverse. I realized that he hit my lure and ran straight for me and stopped under the boat.
    I'll definantely try it again sometime with heavier line and bigger cranks

Get on the water
    Micah

5. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    I got my biggest flat from bartlett on a shad rap!! He was just over 37lbs!! I have caught around 5 or 6 nice cats on crank baits.I dont use them as regular baits,but they do work well!!

6. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I've caugh 'em on crank baits both at Bartlett & Apache, though that's not my usual MO. One time I noted a fresh gash on the head. I think I actaully ran the hook over it and he clamped down on it as a reaction.