Bartlett Lake Saturday night

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Jul 31, 2007.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    ~ My fishing buddy, (daughter) and I went up river at Bartlet Saturday night and had a blast. We only caught 4, but I got them early enough in the evening that she was awake and able to real one in… I set up a med action spinning rod with 10 lb mono, slide sinker to a 4/o circle hook. With a wad of night crawlers as bait: She was able to fight her first flathead at age 5… It was about 4lbs weight but a trophy indeed. So far this little girl has caught several channel cats, blue gill, white bass, yellow bass, striper, rainbow trout, and now flathead…

The biggest we caught was only 8 lbs... But it sure was nice to finally hook into some flathead. I have not had much time to fish lately and it was nice to get out. Especially with the weather soo cool.

It rained most of the day Saturday and early evening. But the air temp was about 10 degrees cooler than the water.

I saw several dudes fishing off shore for flatheads… Any one from the BOC?

Here are some pictures, Enjoy..:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I was out there. I saw you, your daughter and the dog in that green pontoon boat. I think it was around 4 or 5 pm you pulled up in a small cove at the mouth of the river. I had a gold and black jeep parked at the top and had hiked down and setup in the rocks about 200 yards south of the green flat.
    While i couldn't of had better bait, i still got skunked on flatheads. I did get a few small hits enough to suck off my baits, i couldn't hook up on anything. I need smaller hooks i guess for those little guys. I did catch plenty of fish in the day and a good mixed bag. Couldn't of asked for better weather out.
    About 3 am i had dozed off on top my sleeping bag in the rocks and was awaken by something smelling around me like a dog and it had stepped up on my legs. I got lucky i did not get startled to bad and jump. I awoke to a skunk standing on my legs smelling my boots with his buisness end right in my face. :crazy: I say "his" because yes its backend was so close to my face i could tell it was a male. All i could do was lay there and not move and try not to breath. It countinued to smell my feet then turned around and was smelling me in a place that only women and doctors are aloud to go. It turned back toward my feet and started to try and open a soft cooler i had food in.
    All i could think was "please don't get that open" or he'd be setting on me eating for the next half hour or so. I am not scared for my life or even think he is going to hurt me. I just DO NOT want to be sprayed. About this time i had to take a deeper breath because i had not been breathing to much trying not to scare the skunk. I took a bigger breath and he stopped turned around and walked up my body and smelled my face. I could feel his breath coming in and out of his nose. He then turned back to the cooler and took a few swipes at it trying to open it and couldn't. I got lucky and he walked off. About 20 or so yards away he stopped and turned back like he was coming back over to me. I threw a rock at him, not to hit him but scare him off. He stood there and looked at me. I through a bunch more and he bailed out of there. I'm sure he has been somewhat tamed by living at the lake but kicking him off me or trying to scare him off me wasn't an option. I didn't know what his spray point would be. He was just looking for some grub. I won't hold it against him.
    I just take it as a sign that flatheadin from the shore at bartlett will get me skunked and possibly skunked.

3. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice pics btw and it is great to see you teaching your daughter to fish. My daughter turns four this saturday and she is just learning to fish.

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Andy, that is just great that your daughter is becoming quite an accomplished fishermen! She looks like she had a blast out there too. I will have to see if I will be taking my little sisters out when they get older, the older one is only three now.

The skunks are getting really bad all around the lakes. I was at saguaro lake the other night trying to get to the fishing dock at butcher jones and i must of walked around 10 or 15 skunks. All were within spraying distance too, but I guess they have learned to save alot of their stuff. Last time I was out at Bartlett I had two skunks run up on me, but not as close as what you are talking about. I hear skunks are the primary carriers of rabies too, so I think you did as good as you could have in trying to get him to go away. I would of hated to startle him.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Travis,
    Great story, glad you only got skunked, and not skunked..
    ha ha ha ha!!!

I have never done too well up river at Bartlet, but this trip was a jem.

~A

6. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thats funny, my daschunds got in a fight with a raccoon at canyon lake a while back. It ended well since daschunds are pretty vicious little dogs.

7. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You gotta love badger dogs. I had one too. Give them a little beer and they'll take on anything. :smile2:

8. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Wow! that's some muddy looking water! How deep was that?

9. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Great pic's man. Nice that you had a good trip.

Take care.

Larry

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    The deepest I was fishing was probably 3 feet. Because of all the runoff, the water was very muddy, + lots of debris...

11. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Andy...The pictures of your little girl were great. She is really cute(must take after her mother). I'm giving a warning from my own experience. In a few years she will be out fishing you. Best Regards.........Rick

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona

Hi Rick,
    I hope you are doing well sir, glad to hear from you..
    ~ Most of the time, she is more interested in swimming or playing with the dog and getting all muddy. But I am always looking for the opportunity to put a fishing rod in her hand.

Thanks~

13. fester

fester New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I want to get out to bartlet soon!

14. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great job andy, those looked like some healthy flats. Glad the family got out again, and was successful!:wink: