Bartlett lake help

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Apache Flats, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    :0a35:I will be going to bartlett for the first time next saturday. I only have a trolling motor so distance can be a problem. I see that there is several ramps to put my boat in and what I would like is a place I can set my tent up on the other side of the lake and fish close to that spot . I will be fishing for bait during the day then flatties at night. Believe me I am not asking for anybody's secret spot just a general area and what dept to fish. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Capt catfish

Capt catfish New Member

State:
    Illinois/Az
    try rattlesnake cove or yellow cliffs. Last time i was there,a lot of the camp areas were under water,but there was still plenty of room.

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey dude,
    I am going next Saturday as well.. There are good spots all over that lake exactly how you described... Are you wanting to fish the river or main lake?

~A

4. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hmmm!!!! River or Lake :0a28: not to sure yet but if I can tie-up to a tree sticking out of the water in 10-20ft I'll stay there all night. Do you know where I can get my tonto pass and minnows that is close to the lake? I will get to the lake saturday around 2:00pm

5. Kubush

Kubush New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    You can purchase the daily and annual tonto passes at the ranger station located on the left side after turning onto Bartlet Dam Rd. You can also purchase a daily pass at the small store near the main boat ramp next to the marina. They also sell minnows and nightcrawlers.

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    James, thanks very much. I will get my minnows and pass at the marina:wink:

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Wait a minute... Minnows? I thought you were a cat man??

lol..

If you are going for crappie, I heard the best place is near the yellow cliffs..

* Take the left turn to the yellow cliffs boat ramp and you will be right there..
    ~ I don't fish much for crappie but a few folks have told me they have done real well there.
    ** I will more than likely fish the main lake area near the marina... The area is busy with bass fishermen during the day, but it is usualy pretty quite at night.

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Main lake directly across from the main launch has proven good for me. There are drop offs and islands. Plenty of shore line to camp on as well. The last time I was there I was able to squeeze my toon on an island.

I would caution though crossing the main part of a lake with a trollong motor. To many idiots out there. It just depends on your fear factor.

Depending on how much battery juice you have I would try and make it up river just on the left past the no wake bouyes. You can beach and 20-40 foot of water is only a short throw away.

Good luck and I may see ya out there.

9. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Yes minnows for a few crappie for bait. I know it's not legal but I will at least try one, flatties love them. No guts no glory on crossing to the other side as long as I dont get that much water in the boat.:crazy:

10. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Watch out! The ghost of Old Bill Bartlett might just sap the juice out of your trolling motor batteries and foul your lines!

11. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    i took my 12 foot j boat across bartlett with just my minkota-
    dam thing almost capsized on my when a party barge cruised by-
    man i got to get out there and fish- its been too long for me and im going bonkos

12. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    soooooooooo is it better that I wait for nightfall to cross, follow around by the dam and come around the other side, or just go for it.:eek:oooh:

13. Kubush

Kubush New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just be careful, think it was about 3 years ago me and some buddies launched a canoe from Barlett flats to cross the lake to fish quietly. We were already way over max capacity with 4 people and fishing gear but we wanted to avoid two trips. On the way some a**holes started making laps around us to try and tip us over. Thankfully they were unsuccesful.

14. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thats what handguns are for.

15. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Or Depth charges

16. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I had a similar expirence at Bartlet. I was in my canoe with all my cat gear, ice chest, an old blind dog and about 100#s of fire wood..

*There was literaly only 1 -2 inches from the top of the water line to the tops of the gunnels of my boat.. It was little nerve racking especialy when a rooster tailing speed boat passed by me.. But I made it...

* The water was realy low, so the lake was much smaller..

~A

17. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I like that answer........ ALOT. :cool2:

18. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona

I would suggest either cross early morning just after sun up or just after sundown. That should eliminate some of the knuckle heads on jet ski's and speed boats.

I saw a small J boat a while ago where one guy steered and the other held a skier down orange flag and it seemed to work pretty well. The other boaters were able to see them and stayed clear.

Just be careful. I dont want to see the Sherriffs Office divers looking for anyone. Been there seen that before.

I also like the gun idea unless you flip and it goes into the deep.

19. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    A 5oz weight works wonders as well.

I had that happen once and the lake patrol Deputy saw them (jet ski's) and pulled them over. The deputy sited them and that was the last I saw of them.

20. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If we could get Chummer, AzFlats, Micah, or any number of others to show them a few of their fish up close, I bet the jet skiers are gone for good, in fear that they might fall off, be mistaken for a record size bluegill, and never be heard from again!! Ha
    Good luck and safety to whoever is going out this weekend. I will be doing my billy goat impersonation slaying smallies at the Black River. We have had plenty of luck coaxing out some decent channels there as well. If I don't get eaten by a bear, I hope to have some pics to share on Monday.