Bartlett Lake - Flathead catfish rig

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bartlettcat, May 7, 2007.

1. bartlettcat

bartlettcat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hello iam the new guy. I mostly do alot of crappie and bass fishing. Whats the best flathead rig for bartlett and how do you hook the gills. thanks

2. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    most of the time I use either a slip sinker rig or a 3 way rig

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I dont know your Lake, but the "Stand by" rig is a Carolina rig...

You can hook the gill right in front of the top fin (be careful not to hit the backbone) or on the bottom in front of the tail...

Some run it through the lips or through their lips and out the head, but I find they die pretty quick that way..

I usually always hook mine on the top, in front of fin..

For another presentation, check out [thread=47835]WildWolfes[/thread] Katbobbers. Great for floating large bluegills just off the bottom :big_smile:

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    depends on currents and whether using bobber or not. if no current or using bobber in dead water, i hook behind dorsal fin. if in current, i open it's mouth, and put through roof of mouth. don't go deep into mouth though or will kill it.
    gary

5. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    The best way I've found is with a slip rig just behind the dorsal and above the bloodline. If you hook them too far down the'll die pretty quick. If your fishing from shore set your rig in the shallows before you cast. You'll get a better idea by watching the gill for a few minutes if you hooked him right. If you hooked him wrong he won't move much. When and if theres any current I hook them through the mouth. In through the bottom and up and out one side of the nose. I've also hooked them through the eyes also. You wouldn't think but they always seem to live.
    Good luck..

6. bartlettcat

bartlettcat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    thank you i will be using those techniques this weekend