Bartlett Lake bait

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishinpolak, Mar 6, 2007.

1. fishinpolak

fishinpolak New Member

State:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hey guys im gonna plan a trip to bartlett to fish for flatheads. I am new to catfish fishing i usually fish for bass but want to switch over. Iv herd of people useing live bait like carp and bluegills. How would i catch them this time of year. If i cant get em what bait should i get. Thanks guys

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Matt,
    Welcome to the BOC. I hope you stay for a while.

Bait is usualy not a problem at Bartlett, once it warms up a bit you can catch carp on bread or corn and the gills will eat just about anything.

Catching bait now takes patience.. Chum up a 10-20 ft deep cove with corn and toss a few lines out with that same corn. secure the rod, loosen the drag, grab a beer.

The gills are deeper right now, sink a piece of night crwler around rocks to find gills. Once it warms up, they will bite on a bare hook.

Good luck.
    ~A

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Andy is right. This time of the year can pose a problem with getting bait. Carp is usually easier to get this time of year if your shore bound. It gets alot easier if you have a boat and can move around to different locations.

When I catch a carp, I will cut him up into 4 inch by 5 inch chunks. I bag the extra pices and just stick them in a cooler for later use.

If I have gills and depending on the size and quanity I will either use them live if big or I will cut several smaller ones to load up the hook. I have had sucess with both cut and live bait. So far I think the cut bait has been kinder to me than live. Probably has to do with putting more scent in the water or luck.

Good luck with you catfishing. I can tell you that once you catch a "decent " sized flatty those little bass will be just a fond distant memory. Nothing like having a flatty spin off 20 yards of line and when you pick up the pole feeling as if there is a tree stump attached to the other end.
    Take care and good luck!!

4. fishinpolak

fishinpolak New Member

State:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hey thanks guys. Do anchovies work for for flathead cuz that would be easy to get as bait just wondering ( or maybe shrimp how does that work?).

5. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Matt, shrimp is very good for channels. I have never caught a flat on anything but carp, gills or crawlers. Every now and then I hear of someone picking up a flat while bass fishing. I would try and stick to native bait but you never know with anchovies. I just have never tried them.

6. Dirkdigler33

Dirkdigler33 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I've only had luck with live bait for flattys. gills and carp work the best . You will still catch some nice channell on ancovies though. Good luck.