Bartlett Lake 5/16/08

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Zonaman, May 15, 2008.

1. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Going up to Bartlett Friday for the night. Anyone else headed that way? If so maybe I'll see you there. I'll let you know how it goes.

2. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I'll be there Sat-Sun...
    ** Good luck folks~~

4. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I was thinking about fihing the main lake, east shore from the dam & marina. I'm in a white, 14' Bayliner runabout.

5. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    We did pretty good there last week. I caught one around 30 lbs and my buddy caught a solid 40 lbr. It was nice to finally get out. I might try and sneak out there tomorrow afternoon. Good luck guiys.

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hey Travis, how deep are you fishing this time of year for the flatties? Good luck guys this weekend.

7. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It was the edge of a rock pile that pretty much gets sun all day to keep the surrounding water warm over night. Inbetween 15 to 20 feet. It is a little deeper than i normally fish, but when we both agreed on the same structure we both new we had to fish it.

8. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    One of these days I'll have to try bartlett, I have never been there. I see alot of you guys going there, seems like more then rosie.

9. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Bait fish were very cooperative. Was fishing cut blue gill, live blue gill & crawlers. The moon was almost full. Tried a couple different places. First place I tried was in the middle of a small cove, boulders on both sides, sandy beach in the back, just beyond the cove was a large reef that juts out into the main river bed. This was on the east side of the main lake. Seemed like the sort of place the flaties would move along for food. Second place was a cove next to the marina, very rocky and steep, but close to the river bed. Didn't get a bit all night.

In the morning around 6:30 was flippin's some plastics for bass across from the dam, I got sleepy put out some bait and nodded off. I got two small flatheads a 3 pounder & 5 pounder both on crawlers. So I guess the secret is to fall asleep! One of them decided to go home with me- man those flathead are good!

I'm wondering if I'm positioning myself right for the larger ones. What kind of structure do you guys look for? Appreciate your citiques!

10. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Sounds like good stuff to me. Bartlett seems to be all about the rocks. They like to jam themselves back into them. I have caught alot of big fish sleeping. It seems to be a good technique. LOL

11. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Lots of sleeping- looks like my next boat is a cuddy cabin! Should I be putting the bait closer to the rocks?

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Saturday night I fished near the marina... My buddy and I both missed a few slow runs on big chunks of cut carp...
    * Shorts and tshirt all night...

* I will be going back real soon to get my revenge..
    ~A

13. badben345

badben345 New Member

State:
    Arizona

caught my biggest blue at 3:30am. dayum pole banging against theboat woke me up.

ben

14. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I always try to fish as close to cover as possible with one pole and try to hit the travel ways with the other. This last fish was caught right near the base of the rock pile.

15. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey guys. Kid at Fisherman's Choice turned me on to this site today, so here I am. Going to Bartlett all weekend, and I am already loving all the great info I have seen. I have a 9 year old boy who would flip a lid if we could find one of those big flatties. Have never really gone after them correctly, so gonna give it a shot.

16. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Welcome to the site! If you have any questions or need some advice, dont hesitate to ask. Ive been catfishing for years and Im a noobie compared to the average member on here. The wealth on knowledge is incredible.
    If you dont mind, post your results of your trip when you get back, Im interested in how things are at bartlett. Ive heard mixed reviews.

17. Lenny The Lamb

State:
    Arizona
    Glad to be here! I am impressed beyond belief the knowledge that is shared here. Catching some BIG cats has always been a dream of mine, and I am very excited about using this resource to make it a reality. I definitely will share my results, but I will probably need some time before I see some results. What an awesome site!!

18. Lenny The Lamb

State:
    Arizona
    One question I have is about my gear. I have one really heavy pole with an open face that can hold some bigger test that I have used in Rocky Point. Am I just wasting my time with the medium action stuff if I were to hook into something of any size?

19. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Lenny,
    Welcome to the BOC...

* That rod should work just fine... Put some 50# mono on it. Your best bet is to set out a few lines with different baits such as live or cut blue gill, and live or cut carp.. In my opinion, the best flathead rig is a medium heavy musky pole with an ambassador level wind reel.

You need to catch the bait at the lake so bring along some light action poles with 6-8 # mono.. Fish the boulders or structured shoreline or islands for gills. The carp can be caught in the coves... Use sweet corn to catch carp...

(Catching bait is the best way to get your kids hooked on fishing. They might not stay up all night to catch flatheads, but once they see dad pull up the stringer Sunday morning, they will be right there with you next time.)

** I have had caught flatheads in numerous areas around the lake.. (NOT LATLEY)... But the flatheads are where the gills are.. Find a hot spot for catching bait in and catch flatheads there at night.. In the summer the flatheads come pretty shallow, I like to fish in about 15-20 feet of water near the rocks...

** Hooks and terminal tackle are a matter of preference.. Just don't use a small hook for a big bait...

* GOOD LUCK, Post some pictures of you and your son hoisting up a big catfish... We all live for that kind of stuff..
    ~A

20. Lenny The Lamb

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks Andy. I will definitely be investing in some heavier gear for my quest. As far as getting my son hooked on fishing, he is already there, but I would sure love to elevate my status with him and land a few of those monsters. Anyone familiar with "Waynes Words" from the Lake Powell site, when you go to the fishing report, my son is the headline picture holding up his first small cat, that Wayne has kept on there for years. Hopefully after this weekend at Bartlett, I will have some photos to contribute here. I think I have enough info to get started. Now I just have to find them!!