Bartlett July 9th/10th

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by topjimmy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I'm never sure which date to use, since I start fishing around 1500, catch my big fish between 2200 and 0500, and then go home. That's catfishin' for ya. :big_smile:

The lake was very quiet after dark, almost no boat traffic and very few campers. Everyone must have been burnt out after the 4th holiday. The water temp was between 88 and 91, depending on where on the lake you were. It was pretty hot during the day, but pretty comfortable after dark. It was almost a full moon, one of those clear nights when you have trouble sleeping because the moon glow keeps you awake. Now the good stuff...

I caught a myriad of bait, bluegills and carp. I even caught my second bass of the year. Catfishing was pretty slow early on, I caught a lot of very small channels in the afternoon and evening. After the sun went down, I caught a 2lb and 3lb channel. After midnight I sarted hauling them in: a 7lb flathead, an 8lb channel (my new PB), and a pair of 18+ lb flatheads. Additionally, I had a couple of runs that didn't pan out, grab and spit, hard hits that must have been big fish. I am still trying to break the +20lb barrier, I know I am fishing the right spots, it is just a matter of time...

Oh yeah, as always, only the bait was harmed during this trip, all cats were CPRed.

Attached Files:

2. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    It looks to be a great fishing outing. I can't wait to get up to Bartlett. I had one run where I tried to hook one and my pole just didn't budge, thought it was snagged until I felt it move. Thats what keeps me going to catching flats.

3. bass or bass?

bass or bass? New Member

State:
    North Phoenix Arizona
    I thought I was snagged too when I caught my best flattie,25# at Pleasant.
    Nice group of fish topjimmy, Happy fishing.
    ~N.A.F.C.~B.A.S.S.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

4. dsfrye1

dsfrye1 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice catch Topjimmy, I am hoping to get some Carp for bait fish this weekend to see how it works out.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I am jealous. I wish I can go fishing.. I am in the middle of moving so i won't be able to get back on the water for a while..

** I am sure you will break that 20lb barrier soon, Bartlett has some good fish..

6. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Thanks for the report Jimmy! I can't wait to head back out there myself.

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks for the report James, sounds like the fishing kept you awake, not the moon. Sounds like a perfect evening catfishing.