bartlett dam

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by gotabig1, Sep 4, 2009.

1. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    has anybody been fishing lately down around those coves by the dam?

2. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I never fish over there, too snaggy in most places and I lose too much tackle.

If anyone has tips for fishing this area, I would love to hear them, there have got to be big fish by the dam.

3. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Never fished there for cats but those big boulders by the dam is a great place to catch some gills

4. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Spent a night just outside of the security zone a few years ago. Real close to the dam. No luck except for a large mouth I caught as a shad boil swept over my bait. I floated my hooks just above the bottom to help with the snag problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  5. flatcats

flatcats New Member

State:
    arizona
    never had luck by dam anywhere else is good.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Chad. Hope you find some good info here!

7. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yeah i was thinking the same thing there is a nice cove across from the dam with large boulders under the water. i just never see anybody down that way

8. flatcats

flatcats New Member

State:
    arizona
    i really like to fish the river but its slow. go along bank bout 50ft give or take look at bootom for clean bottom bout 5-15ft fairly close to sumerged trees or rock piles and close to a good drop to bout 20-30+ ft. reason for smooth surface is so bait is easy to find and cant find a hiding place. and thats what i have been doing my whole life and will keep doing it cause it works.:wink:dont be afraid to go into a ft or so of water cause a 40lb will come in shallow water. put 1 line close to bank 1 line out 40-50 ft where the clean bottoms at.

9. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    iam going to try that nex time i go thx for the info! do you go out to bart alot?:big_smile:

10. flatcats

flatcats New Member

State:
    arizona
    i cant im yet not enough post.i mainly fish river with moving water prefered and with no water try to fish from the no wake buoys to up stream and just follow my past post. but ive fished bart for 40yrs + and i still look at my fish finder to find new spots and try something new. but keep an eye on the river bottom for clean places to drop the gills with good cover and deep water close by. and freshbait.good luck and keep releasing the larger fish and eat the small 1's. flatcats

11. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have fished alot up in the river and done well just not alot out in the lake

12. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Nice avatar pic there mr. Flatcats!

13. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    those are sure some lilmonsters:cool2:nice flats dave whats that big 1 weigh?

14. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i think he said 40#

15. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    hay dave did u catch those fish on the same night?

16. flatcats

flatcats New Member

State:
    arizona
    thanks for the thanks,im new at talking with my fingers so..... be patient.from time to time i may have a light come on up thier bout mister big and will pass it on.I just like most of you want to catch mr big and set a new record,just for fun. flats,,,,

17. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yeah and i know that bartlett has a record in it. just aint been caught yet

18. flatcats

flatcats New Member

State:
    arizona
    last night I was thinking about someone asking about fishing below dams. the most prosperous times I can remember by far ,,, are after big water releases from storms.I havent fished below dams for many years because fishing from a boat is a lot better at my age.but,I remember it was not unusual to catch a couple hundred lbs. after water slowed down from large flows.dont be afraid to use heavy tackle 50 to 100 lb. dont laugh, Its heavy I know,but If you run into MR BIG ,you will be the one left holding a very very short stick,,, good luck,maby we will get that storm we all are waiting for

19. flatcats

flatcats New Member

State:
    arizona
    pics like that say it all almost,,I picket these up at bart a few yrs ago one very stormy rainy night befor midnight.What A blast,62# 32# 28# not bad for a beginner .yep,,all are still sneaking around bart somewhere looking for my ;;; live bait wonder how much that 62# WEIGHS NOW???

20. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    wow that was a good night. yeah u know it used to be good below horseshoe when i was a kid i have alot of pics of flats that came from below the dam not all of them were caugh on bait my uncle liked to snag them right under the pipe. i have never tried it though