Bartlett Dam Road

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by tdpasser, Aug 16, 2005.

1. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    The road opens on Wed 8/17. Going out friday night will post the results. hope to say hi to the boc member there. Fish - On !!! :thumbsup:

2. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Are the fire restrictions still in effect? Just wondering with all this rain and all. Also wondering if the 42 trail will be open again anytime soon. It has been closed all dang summer due to the fire danger I guess. I am tired to going to Pleasant. Seems like all I can catch are very small channels and I have fished all over the place, from shore that is, because unfortunately I don't have a boat. Anyway, good luck to you at Bartlett. Don't know if I am going to get back out again until labor day weekend and don't know if I will go then either as there will be so many people out and about.

3. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I think the 42 will still be closed but I will post what I see as I pass the open trail or the yellow tape or closed fence. Can't wait till tomorrow I wonder if the lake level will be down. post on Monday morn.

4. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    is that you terry? can't quite tell from the pic , but that looks like your boat. I can't wait till 42 opens , I'm putting a lift on my toyota and I can't wait to try it out on the trail, the bass and catfishing were great to me last year on the verde up indian springs , would be nice to hit it again

5. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Yea that's me might have to have my wife do a photo shop on it that's her bag. Should get to Bartlett about 4:30 PM on Friday or so, load up on the greenies and gils then try to find some good water to pull ashore on. Break out the chair,rods and a cold one. Hope for the baitrunner scream or the clicker to start sounding. I ate my last fillet last weekend so I'm a hunting this time. The meat is so quality I think I gonna try to stock up on a few fillets for winter. Low fat good chow :002:

6. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Going to try another over nighter on Saturday (8/20). Hope it's a dry night this time!

7. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i am trying to make it out to bartlett either tomorrow or saturday night. it is real hard with school starting monday. trying to get just one last trip in before the craziness starts.

we just got back from the colorado river yesterday. we stayed in a little trailer on martinez lake. we left monday and stayed 2 nights. the first night we got there kind of late and couldn't catch enough bait. only some small bluegill and shad. i fished of the dock that night and caught a 4 pound channel cat with the shad. other than that i didn't get any more bites. we spent the next day catching bait. it took us all day but we got some real nice bait. we have 2 bait tanks in our boat to keep the bluegill in. so we just turn on the pump to flush in water periodically. it was about 4 when we decided to travel up river, which was extremely low and we were getting stuck and hitting stuff all the way up. we finally got to a spot on a river bend where the current stopped and the water got to about 11 feet (which was a lot deeper than the average 3 feet) it was only after this when we found out that our bait tank that we were keeping the bluegill in was not pumping fresh water in. this ment that all our bait was dead! so we did the only thing we could do and started fishing with the dead bait. fished for hours and didn't get nothing but a couple short takes. we went back to the trailer and slept the rest of the night. came back that day. i was so bummed. i know people talk about that river so much. when we were there a guy caught 8 flatheads including a 41 pounder. well i guess i'll have to see what luck i can get at bartlett, hopefully

8. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I feel your pain! The night of the big storm, I had spent the day catching blue gills. Had to let 'em all and man the pumps instead of fishing. A little tip on the blue gills. I've got a couple of those floating bait buckets . Keeps the gills in the water their used to. If I have go faster than a troll, I pull 'em up and store in my live well (actaully a converted ice chest) till the next stop. Works real good!

Maybe I'll see you up there. Look for the little white Bayliner around the Yellow Cliffs.

9. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Matt, sorry to hear you didn't do to well at the River. I am thinking about making trip there in Sept. sometime. Will be going to lake Matinez and will fish up river 8 to 12 miles. I sure love to fish the river, you never know what you will catch. I also have gone without catching a flathead, Oh well thats fishing sometimes you get the fish or the fish gets you. If any one would like to make the trip, let me know.

Billy Jo

10. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Matt keep in mind when you learn a new system it can be tough sometimes. It seems like each time you go you get better. Once you find the fish you can get to a spot faster and start your hole hopping then pretty soon your good there. Appreciate the info I'm very interested in trying that area myself. Can you tell me the name of the place you stayed is sounds like a good starting spot. If I don't see you guys tonight good luck this weekend.

Billy Jo Sept sounds interesting I'm going to CA for a class in Sept but when you post a time I can see if I can go. What's the water condition and holes like 8 to 12 miles up river or does it fluctuate with the water level.

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    billy jo and matt when you go out of lake martinaz can you get out on the river from there. been thinking of going up there and trying it out, saw there getting a lot of Flats down there. I have a traliar on the river(in my profi pic i'm standing in the back of my trailer) up in blythe and hang out up there and do my fishing. I went down to the lake last winter for the first time and checken things out, looks like a party spot to me. hows the river to run, lots of sand bars, trees, high and low water,? would it be about the same as blythe? matt I was out in blythe last weekend and man the water was low-low-low didn't even put the boat in the water and got skunked fishin from the shore and thats a first. u guys ever fish up in the blythe area? if ya do or want to give me a holler can dip a line, I try to get there 2 or 3 weekends a month Any one heard of any gatherings on the river coming up, be nice to have one in oct. some of the dudes from CA had some thoughts of it just never got anything going-----C-ya and good fishen------dale

12. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    yah, we just had a gathering at a local lake. we hade kinda a little fishing tourney there. tons of fun. ever since that i have wanted to do a nother one. we were talking about going to the colorado but never made a date. i would be up for any weekend, just let me know in advance.

13. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    lets invite everyone , I'm selling my boat and hope to have a new one within the next couple of weeks , I'm game either way, shore or boat , colorado sounds good.

Guess everyone else is busy and haven't been able to log on new site , only Terry so far.

14. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hey Chad,sounds good to me. Anyone who would like to go to colorado river lets hear from you and we can maybe find a time that will work for all. I can go anytime, (Today looks good for me).

15. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Was a nice quite night. Anchored just below the reef markers at Squaw Flats, next to Yellow Ciffs. My Blueills were unmolested all night. I could blame it on the full moon but I heard some guys from this forum where up there and some of you pretty good. I think I'm going up river next time. How's fishing above Ship Rock?

16. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Friday night results: :thumbdown
    No cats, lots of nice gils, greenies and small carp. fished near the no-wake zone on shore. a storm came in and really rocked us. full moon and no runs. we also got attacked by a major sworm of gnats. we got the heck out of there, the only good thing was the mass wind would make the gnats go straight to the ground while we packed our stuff. not the best outing, we had such good bait, what a shame. we headed back to the boat launch area and accessed the situation about 11pm and my boys were about done but of course wouldn't admit it. so we called it and went home.
    if I can I will try to make the colorado sounds like fun. ;)

17. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    fished bartlett saturday night
    no flats but some great channels. we started fishing early, about an hour before sundown. got a couple short takes but didn't connect. i did get a good slow steady run but missed the fish when i set the hook. as soon as that full moon came up the flathead fishing was at a standstill. so we decided to fish for some channels. all night we were catching channels. we had just started using circle hooks and i LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!! if you guys haven't tried them please do, you will definatly not be sorry, we were using 4/0 gamakatsu octopus circles. every bite turned out to be a fish. we caught 5 fish that night, all channels. a 6.5lb, 4lb, 4lb, and 2 2lb cats. and a turtle in the mourning. we kept some of the smaller ones. when we were cleaning them in the mourning we cut there stomaches and out pored crawdad legs and claws and small skeletons. no bluegill at all. next time we go i am using some crawdads, see what happens. when we were there in the mourning i was talking to a guy that fished that night up river. he said he caught 30 flathead! his boat was full of fish! i was so hurt at the sight. i mean who needs 30 flathead. what would you do with all that fish. whe see him all the time there to. just think what that could do to the population over time. maybe i will go again this weekend. the moon should be smaller then. but i'm definatly not keeping any flatheads! :cursing:

18. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hi Matthew...just read your post. I was astounded to read about the guy catching 30 flatheads. Must be a "master" fisherman. But, if he is keeping them and fishes often, you,I and everyone else can kiss our flathead fishing goodbye. There is already one hundred percent more flathead fisherman than there was a few years ago. If we don't fish sensibly, flathead fishing could get really tough.
    Sounds like you had a good trip and may have learned something new. Lotsa luck.......Rick

19. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ok see some of u guys are thinkn about that river trip. b great to have u guys join me. just now thought of this post I left, going to be in blythe starting today until 9/6 and going to be away my pc. mayb we can start a new thread and get things going,mayb start one in the ca and az local talk sections having some boats would b a + . I have a small 1 for 2or 3 peps, the camp ground I keep my trailer at is called hidden beaches resort its a nice clean camp with grass and lots of trees a ramp 4 the boats and store. u guys can start figerin out a date in oct.. pm me if need b-----lets do it

20. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    [ next time we go i am using some crawdads, see what happens. ]

Where/how do you get them?

Thanks.