bartlett 9/2

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Matthew Cook, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    going to bartlett today, might try and stay 2 nights. i think with the wether a little bit cooler the fish are going to be biting. last weekend we fished one night. only caught 2 small channels. not one bite for flathead. going to try and fish a night way upriver. went as far as you could go last weekend. it looks like excellent habitat for flathead, with trees sticking out of the water everywhere, but the water was very muddy, looked like chocolate milk. saw the same guys there that caught the thirty flathead. so far it's been 4 times in a row i've seen them there when we were. don't you think thirty flathead would keep you busy for a while?

2. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Where would you recommend fishing from shore at bartlett?

3. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Matthew, how'd you do? No luck for me (see Bartlett Rd post). Thirty flatheads? I know that's still under the limit for 2 guys but what do you do with that much fish? I'd like to pick up a few pointers from those guys in any case.

As far as fishing from shore, If you can 4wd to Indian Wash Cove. If not Yellow Cliffs areas can be good.

4. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    No 4wd, but I have two feet and a backpack full of camping gear. :D

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated.

5. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    No report on the Bartlett trip, Matthew?

6. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    so so sorry guys. really didn't have any time at all on my hands. just started school. :sad: anyway friday night we went to the lake to try and fish the night. we got there and caught bait. we were all ready to fish when suddenly a huge storm came in, and since we only had out boat and no shelter from the storm we had to leave. on the way back we were stopped buy a line of cars. over heard people talking about a flash flood. we walked down to the beginning of the cars, which must have been a mile walk. we talked to a cop and he said there was a 5 foot deep flash flood that tour up the 50 feet of the street. i knew that we were going to wait. this wasn't our first flash flood and it defiantly wasn't our last. after two hours they started letting the 4 wheel drive cars go, thank god. so we managed to get across and get home to get some sleep. the next day we decided to go to pleasant for some bass fishing. we stayed the night and fished. my dad was beat so he didn't fish, which was a huge mistake. i must of caught 15 fish, some largemouth with some white bass mixed in, including a 5 pound largemouth, caught on a slugo ( my biggest!)
    we are going back tomorrow. you guys should get down there. i was fishing from the shore. i would suggest staying the night because the white bass just go crazy. we have these light that you put in the water and they will attract the bait fish. any bass guys out there am telling you now, PLEASE GET ONE OF THEM!!! that is why i caught fish. the white bass and largemouth will just school around the light and eat all the minnows surrounding the light. this time my dad has caught up on sleep and we are both going to fish. i will post the results.

7. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow, bummer about the Bartlett trip, I was actually out there Saturday for a bit during the day, but I left because I wasn't catching anything. I fished for a while at bartlett flats, but it was so crowded and damn jetskiers and waterskiers everywhere. I moved to the dock at rattlesnake cove for a bit becuase no one was on it and I wanted to try for some channels that like to hang out deep below the dock during the day. I had a nice bite on bacon when I was rigging up my sons pole that I missed, and that fish wised up to the bacon and wouldn't touch it for the next 3 hours while I was there. I wished I had some corn because the guys who left as we arrived had caught several channels on corn in the previous 2 hours before we arrived. Whatever that fish was that grabbed my line took out 20 feet of drag before I got to my pole and he was gone when I picked it up. :( So, long story short, we got skunked.

8. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Matthew, I thought I was just about the only guy on the lake that night, Around 6:30 PM an old Trihull made it's way past me at Black Rock and disappeared up river. About an hour later it came back out ahead of the storm. Was that you?

9. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    no, that wasn't me. we got a 20 foot blue ranger fish and ski. i am so ready to go fishing again. we are headed out to pleasant tomorrow. then next weekend we are going back to bartlett. i'll post both reports.

10. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    well pleasant was a blast. we fished all night and in the mourning. we caught like 30 white bass. we released all or them. they are so much fun to catch all though i do miss the catfish. this weekend we are going fishing, just don't know where though.

11. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Going to try Bartlett again on 10/3-4. Going to try way up river- probably around Beehive maybe further. Say, Matthew- Those guys you always see up there. Do you always see 'em in the same area. i.e. up river?

Thanks.

12. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    yah, they are always heading up river. every single time we are there we see there car. let us know how it is up there.

13. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yup, that's what I figured- Up river. Slight revision of plans I'm actually going up Oct. 1-2. That's just ahead of the new moon. I'm pretty sure what stretch of the river I'm going to fish. My usual strategy is to locate the orginal river channel on sonar, then look for structure and fish alerts suspended near the bottom. I then anchor between that and the shore or where a wash feeds into the main channel. Usually around 20 feet deep but I've had luck I've in 5 feet of water so depth hasn't been my main consieration. Blue gills are the weapon of choice. At the end of 24" steel leader, gamakatsu 8/0 to 10/0 circle hook, followed by a 3 oz sliding egg on 30 lb test. I also fish a lighter version of the same on 20lb test. There is one spot I'm considering, maybe some of you guys know about it and can comment. There's a fairly deep grotto across from Sheep Creek Cove. You can actually pull your boat in there when the lake is down. Now it's under water. Any expereince with this spot or general comments on strategy would be apprciated. I consider myself a perpetual student in the field of "flatheadology."

Thanks.

14. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    we might try bartlett this weekend. probably saturday and night. if we make it out to bartlett i really want to try up river. if you have ever gone way up there it looks so good. there are trees everywhere with rocks and stuff. can't wait

15. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Maybe I'll see you guys up there. Just look for the little Bayliner with a slightly deranged catman in it! :D

16. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    See "Update on Barlett: for results on my 10/2 trip.

17. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    When fishing at Bartlett, can you access that river by boat, or do you have to drive there, and what part of the lake is it on?

18. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    yes, you can get up to the river from bartlett. you can also access parts of the river by going up the 42 trail, but you need 4 wheel drive to do so. the river is to the left when facing the lake from the road.