Bartlett 08/27, Bittersweet New PB

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by topjimmy, Aug 29, 2009.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I decided to try a new spot, since the last two weeks only produced one 7lb flat in my usual haunts. There were lots of fish on the Lowrance and shad boils everywhere in the back of this cove. The afternoon wind died, and it was dead calm. I threw out corn on one pole (still trying to get a carp as I hadn't seen one yet) and a ridiculously small bluegill on the other, figuring I would save the big bait for after midnight, and if there were no flats at least I might catch some small channels.

At 8:30 I was just settling in after laying out all my gear the way I like it, getting ready to enjoy my sammich and a cold beverage. My bluegill pole bent a little, a little more, then A LOT. The drag did not whine, so I didn't rush, I figured it was a hard pulling 7lb fish or something. I put my beverage in the holder, put my sammich back in the cooler, and moseyed on over to grab my pole.

When I picked up the pole and made my first pull, the drag started to whine, and I knew it wasn't a small fish. I pulled again, dropped the tip and reeled, made some progress, then did it again. He ran again towards open water, I had to tighten the drag to stop him. I pulled again and turned him around. The line went slack and I thought to myself "Oh no, he got off", but he started to pull again after a minute, this time heading the opposite direction into the cove. I didn't want my line under the boat; I was beached, and I wasn't going to try to net this fish by myself, so I jumped off the boat onto the shore. After some more play I brought him in, and I could see he was pretty big. I waded in up to my waist and grabbed him.

I got him into the boat and put him on the scale, he was 28lbs, 9oz. I had a heck off a time setting up my camera on a timer and getting a picture of myself (this is just another reason to always take someone with you), I only got one picture. I figured I would get more in the morning.

He completely filled my livewell. His dorsal fin was out of the water, but his gills were completely submerged. I watched him for the next 5 hours, he appeared to be doing fine, everytime I put my hands in his mouth to check him, he was real spunky.

I fished all night, caught another 10lb flat and couple 2 or 3lb pound channels, sleeping on and off like I always do. When I woke up I was real excited, I figured I would go to the marina and get someone to take my picture, but when I checked on my big fish he was unresponsive. His gills were moving ever so slightly, I put him in the lake and tried to revive him, but to no avail, he would only belly up.

I have put many fish just under 20lbs in my well, and they were all fine after a night. The fact that I accidentally killed this fish displeases me immensely. I will never put a fish bigger than 20lbs in my well again.

So I finally broke the 20lb barrier, which is awesome, but also tinged with sadness. :sad2:

Attached Files:

2. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Awesome fish!!Nothin left to do but fillet him out and eat him!!Cant wait to get out to Bartlett!:cool2:

3. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Great report, sad that he did not make it, at least you tried. Glad that you broke the 20lb barrier, now you have to break 30,.40,.50,.and so forth. I know that they are in Bartlett too. I've been broken off with 80lb main and 50lb big game as my leader on a few occasions.

4. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice fish!!!!

5. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    nice fish. good to see some1 is catching some flats at bart:crazy:.

6. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    nice fish great pic, keep it up.

7. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    Nice fish

8. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    congrats on your big catch! Sorry for your loss. that is a nice pic of you at that marina store as well.

9. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Dang guys, his kid didnt die, it was a flathead.

10. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    James...great fish! Bummer that it died but as long as you've harvested the meat, you've got nothing to feel guilty about...my guess is you CPR most of the time anyway...

maybe next time do a rope through the gills...that's probably what skunko suggested in his post before he edited it out...just a thought..

great fish and thanks for sharing the pic!

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice Fish and congrats on breaking that 20# barrier!

* You have done real well this year! Now, onto the 30# barrier..

:big_smile::big_smile:

12. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Congrats on your new PB. That sucker will make a lot of fish tacos.

13. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    yep, sounds like cajun fish taco time to me. Nice catch. I know mine's out there.

14. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    :smile2:

Yeah, just hate to kill the big ones when there's so many little ones to eat...

15. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ

Yeah, I almost put him on the rope, which is what I would have done if he didn't seem to be thriving in the livewell before I fell asleep.

It was quite a chore cleaning a 29lb fish, the biggest flat I ever cleaned before was 8lbs.

16. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Nice flat James, Congrats on your new PB. Reps to your PB :wink:

17. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    nice fish man and thanks for sharrin with everybody. i need to get me one of those biggins:roll_eyes:

18. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Lmao. Nice fish.