Bartlet last weekend

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Aug 3, 2009.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy brothers.

* I have not had a chance to wet a line in over two months because I was moving my family from my house in Avondale to Peoria... Well we are all settled in and the wifey gave me the green light to head out to the lake.. I think she was getting sick of having me around all weekend as well...

* I took that opportunity and made a beeline for Bartlett as soon as I could Friday evening..
    * I got to the lake around 10 pm on Friday night and fished with my cast net as I made my way up river...

~ Found a good spot a few miles up from ship rock and started flatty fishing around 1am...

* Ended up catching 2 nice flats, 1 around 10 lbs and another around 15 lbs..

~ Slept the rest of the morning off under the stars... After a hearty breakfast and some coffee I headed back down river in search of gills and carp. The weather was awesome and the water was warm. All the baitfish were biting, so catching gills and carp was not an issue..

Back up river around 5 pm to find a good spot.. I was surprised there were not a lot of cat fishermen in the river.. I saw only a few all weekend. The water was about 5 feet low and slow moving so I could not get into the parts I like to visit, but found a few great spots near some rocks and tulles..

* Anyways the flatheads were biting, but they only wanted big baits.. After I used up the carp and the big gills, the flatheads lost interest.

* I ended up catching 5 Saturday night, the two biggest were 16lbs and 21 lbsÂ…
    * Both took live carpÂ…

~ All fish were released Sunday morning after some photos..
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    nice flats. thats good to hear that they are biting up there. ive been staying clear and fishing the lake but next time im going up river. thanks man.

3. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Excellent report Andy,thanks!!

4. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for pics Andy!

5. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Nice catch Andy, thanks for the pictures. Do you have better luck with carp than bluegills? I seem to catch more on carp because they are more lively than the gills. jmo... Did you catch those 5 above ship rock or below? I'm planning to fish this week if my wife let's me.:sad2:Taking the old canoe out with my dog as well. Reps to you, thanks.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Matt,
    The flats will take carp or gills. Some folks swear by carp exclusively, some only use gills, both groups catch flats...

* I try to have a variety of baits on board with me so I can find out what works best that night.

* Some times cut carp is the ticket...

~ The problem with carp is finding a bait the right size and keeping it alive long enough to fish with it at night.. The carps will fill your live well with ammonia and take out all your other bait if you are not constantly changing the water... Also it does not help with the water temp is nearly 90*...

* I caught some flats on gills, but only the freakishly large gills.. I bet if I had more carp I could have done better.

7. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Congrats on your great trip! And thanks for the great info.

8. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    Yeah nice catch Andy and some great pics. Thanks for the post keep up the fishin.

9. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Good job Andy. Thanks for the report. I probably would have seen you up there but I got a late start leaving the house sat. eve. so I ended up going to Pleasant.

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    How did you do at pleasant?? Did you catfish?
    * I almost went there myself, but it looks like the water level was too low to go very far up river.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice flats man

12. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have it on good authority that the rope andy used was made from all-natural virgin cotton, and was sterlilized using a two-part steam process afterwich the rope was treated with a long-lasting sanitizing agent.

I also heard andy sought and secured verbal permission from the fish in question to have the rope slung through the gills on the one condition they would be released after the group hug. The fish also agreed to hold andy harmless in the unlikely event an unforseen infection were to occur.

Thus sayeth Overkil

13. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    To funny!! lmao!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Billy,
    Cause I like to torture them...

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    No really~

* The gills are never touched and the fish are not dragged around...

~ Actually, what I use is a very small rope attached into a small section of PVC pipe.. I puncture a small hole behind the bottom jaw of the fish, about 1/4 inch. The PVC prevents the rope from damaging the flesh...
    * Again, the fish are not dragged around, they were all captured from the same spot...

~ All fish were released very healthy.

Okay?

16. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    :smile2::smile2: Here we go!!

17. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ

18. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hey Andy. Lake Pleasant is down quite a bit don't know how far you can go up the river channel we never made it that way just fished castle creek. Caught a few small channels and stripers. What a great night to be out though temp. was perfect, light breeze, and lots of shooting stars way cool. With the lake down you can see those mussels everywhere. I think Lake Pleasant is in big trouble. I've read they can change the whole ecology of a lake. Not good for sure.
    Bartlett this weekend. I HOPE! If the weather looks ok I'm going.
    Take care
    Larry

19. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Careful going to Bartlet. There is a cat tourney there this weekend.. Unless of course you are going to compete..

Good luck

20. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Andy I am glad to see you had a great trip after not being able to go for a couple of months. Thanks for the pics and great report bro. I am looking forword to going soon myself. By the way did you see ol'e Dave????