Bartlet last Saturday

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Aug 5, 2008.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy folks,
    I fished Saturday night and did alright...
    * I hooked into something about midnight that I fought for over 20 minutes.. I thought for sure it was a giant cat, it kept going to the bottom below the boat and sticking in the mud, (like big cats do).. But when I finally got it to surface, it was a soft shell turtle of about 20-30 lbs... I never got a picture of it or a weight on it.. I was so disappointed, I just cut the hook out while in the water...

* I did have fun though and hooked up with 5 Flatheads and 1 nice channel cat.. No weights, nothing over 8-10 lbs.. All caught on live blue gill.
    * I also had a small live carp casted out all night that never got hit..

* Sunday morning I met a real cat man that I have previously only heard stories about... Guys name is Larry and a real stand up dude.. Well, he had the biggest cat I have ever seen come out of Bartlet. I weighed it for him and it went 54 lbs..

~ If you guys ever go to Bartlet and see this dude, make sure you give him your respect, and say hi. He has been fishing Bartlet for years and knows his way around, (to say the least)...

* Here are my pictures from the trip...

Attached Files:

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Here is my catch from the night...
    Nothing too big, but loads of fun...

Attached Files:

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for sharing the pics Andy!

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Say, Andy thanks for the pictures. I'm sure you enjoyed visiting with the guy that fishes bartlett regularly. Glad you had a good trip.

5. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good job. It's always fun when having the kids along. I went to Roosie. Got Skunked on Flatheads.

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hey Andy, too bad we did not have a chance to meet on Saturday, my ice in my coolers prevented me from staying another night. Glad to see you catching flatties no matter what size. I am not sure but was the older fella there on friday? How far up the river were you when you took his picture? I went as far up as Beehive point. Good job :wink:

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    * I drank a little blue gill pee.. Worked like a charm. lol

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I must have missed you.. I did not go up river until late in the afternoon Saturday.. I spent most of the day around yellow cliffs catching bait and swimming..

*** We were not too far up river cause it just keeps on going.. I don't fish the river much, so I can't exactly say where we were..

9. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    LMAO............
    Looks like i'll be squeezin gills next time i'm out. :wink:

10. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Awesome Andy! Looks like a great night.

LOL I had the same experience with a 25lb soft-shell turtle at Roosevelt one night, it felt like I was pulling up a LOG!

He give you any trouble pulling the hook out? Mine wouldn't have any of that funny business.

11. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice job Andy, and nice touch with that great picture of the old master with that hog!!! I have only seen a few turtles out there, but figured they had to be around. Your daughter is adorable and must have a blast out there with dad. Looking forward to the results of your next outting. Keep the pictures coming!!

12. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Good old Larry. The guy is a die hard. He's got a new lease on life. He was AWOL for about a year and a half due to DUAL LUNG transplant and all he does is fish Bartlett. He's kind of a private guy and he's pretty funny. If you fish to close to him he'll definantely let you know about it. That is unless you hook him up with some fat bluegills. He'll go out there on Saturday and fish till Wednesday. He should be a spokesman for circle hooks. Thats all he uses and believe it or not he doesnt let em hook themselves, he sets the hook hard. Not what you would expect from a circle hook user but I'm a witness.

I'm looking forward to heading ut soon but I've been house shopping and as tough as it's been fishing will have to take a back seat till I find one. I need a back yard for the dog and the cat boat i plann on building. For now I'll have to live through the posts. Good luck to all and keep posting

I was out at Bartlett once and i hooked in to something that I fought for 2 hours. Before i could get him in he ran up on shore and climbed a huge tree. He was so big the tree began to tilt and came crashing down. I tried to get a shot off at him with my rifle but he flew away before I could take aim

Micah

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Micah, STFU~ lol....

14. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I had an old man at Bartlett tell me that years ago and I laughed so hard. Just thought I would pass it along.

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    That is funny...
    Good luck this weekend bro..

16. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Haha, almost choked on a bratwurst. Thanks or um, yeah.

17. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Micah, that is some funny stuff!! I don't care who ya are! Good luck on the house hunting.

18. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    And you'll never catch me! :smile2:

19. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Andy,

Sorry for not seeing this sooner...life has me pretty busy lately. Congrats on having a fun night at Bartlett. I am going to have to try it out one of these days.

About the turtle...I know how you feel. The weekend that I met up with Dale and Bill, I caught two turtles on the river. One was about a 20lber...or so I would guess. Both escaped without loss of life (one was hooked in the foot, the other was hooked in the skin of the throat). I also got my hooks back.

Ryan