Bartlet/Horseshoe Lake conditions

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Feb 12, 2008.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Well, I have not been out to Bartlet for a few months. But with a little luck I will be heading out this weekend.

~ I was curious if anyone had been out lately and has a report..
    ** I see Bartlet is at 98% full and Horseshoe is at 96%.. (HOW COOL IS THAT?!!)

** I am assuming that drift wood is going to be a problem..
    ~ If the weather stays warm I will hit the river and fish near ship rock.. If it gets cold again I will find my deep water areas near the marina..

~A

2. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    If I can get my little projects done this weekend, I might be able to make it out there Monday or Tuesday, daytime- I've got a long weekend on tap. If you're going one of those days, let me know. If you go before me, let me know how it was.

Questions: Do you fish upstream or downstream of Ship Rock? Close to the channel or the sides?

PS Bartlett is now 99% full!

Thanks.

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Questions: Do you fish upstream or downstream of Ship Rock? Close to the channel or the sides?

Hi Gerry,
    Last time I saw Shiprock, it was surrounded by sand bars.. I tied up over the deep channel, (which was only a few feet deep) and casted close to the sand bars..

* When the water is up, I have fished right on top of ship rock casting my baits close to the boulders where the blue gills hide.. The flats will cruse through the rocks at night looking for food...

~ Up river, there is really no other structure, I look for holes or downed trees, all of which can hold flatheads.

Take care~
    ~A

4. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Any luck? Let us know how it went. Hopefully they are biting. Did you get a chance to check the water temp?

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    COLD FRONT~~~ Noooooo!:crazy:
    This was a tough fishing trip.. Bait was deep and inactive.. Very difficult to catch gills and carp..
    ~ I fished all day and did not catch a carp until 7pm...

** The lake is strange looking when it is at 100%.. No beaches, trees under water, drift wood everywhere..
    * Water temp was 48* It was foggy and cold, air temp was in the low 50's... I did not even see the sun until 5pm...
    ~ Fished on the Marina side of the lake and I could not even get a channel cat to bite...

** The next morning, I wanted to go see Horseshoe.. So I dragged my 20 foot pontoon boat with my 2 wheel drive pickup truck down the road to Horseshoe... I think I got pretty close, but there was a wash I just would not be able to get through with my trailer..
    ~ So I turned around before I got to see the lake..:sad2:

** It sure was nice to finally get out of the house.. But I will try to plan my next trip when the sun is shinning... LIKE TODAY!! DARNET!!:angry:

~~~ I look forward to the lake level dropping a little bit..
    * One of Bartlett's best qualities is it's beaches..

** This spring and summer should be really good fishing.. This is my prediction.

~A

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Here are a few pictures of the lake...

~A

Attached Files:

7. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I launched at Yellow Cliffs. Chilly and kind of overcast most of the morning. The water looked like coffee everywhere. Most of the drift wood is settling in the upper lake. Some guys told me It was still a mess by the dam. I couldn't get a thing to bite. Here's a few more shots of a full Barlett Lake.

Attached Files: