Bartlet 11-14

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Nov 16, 2009.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Made the trip to Bartlet on Saturday morning with my daughter and fished till Sunday morning.

Aside from some drama; gas leak, and a hole in one of the toons on my boat, (all fixed with duct tape..) it was a good trip...

* Surprisingly, the bait fish were all biting voraciously so despite the cold, water level, and drama, it turned out to be a good trip…

~ Here are a few pictures.. I caught 6 flats in all~ and they were on a mix of live carp and live blue gills, one flat took a carp head… (the little flat was one I caught on my ultra light while bait fishing).

** Sorry there are no good pictures. I only had the camera on my phone. But no giants, the biggest was 25 lbs and I did not even get a picture of it… My daughter went in her sleeping bag at 8pm and afterwards was unwilling to snap a picture of dad and fish. Only one fish was kept and cleaned, (12lber)

* Usually when I go fishing for flats, I mark spots on my GPS throughout the day of locations to fish at night… I set up, cast out and wait. If the fish don’t bite and I am up to it, I will move to one of the other spots, cast and wait… This trip was a little different, this time I tried my hand at drift fishing. So instead of waiting, I floated around assuming the flats were not prowling around actively..

** Two lines on a Carolina rig on either side of the boat with the baits just about a foot or so off the bottom. There was a slight breeze all night, so that kept me moving without a trolling motor. I hooked the baits at their center above the dorsal fin which kept them upright. All flats were caught around 20 feet down… One hit around 30 foot.

* With all the new repairs I need to make on the boat, I will more than likely be out of commission for a few months while I repair and remodel the boat.

Take care~
    ~A

Attached Files:

2. loocatthat

loocatthat New Member

State:
    az
    Nice! I only got 3 in 2 nights. Had 4 kids and my woman and parents with me though, so I wasnt mobile. Drifting sounds interesting. Ive anchored and cought some flats, but never drifted for them. Last weekend We had a camper and the pontoon out. We fished from the shore both nights.

3. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Right on! That is funny about your daughter not wanting to get up, something about that lake breezy cold weather makes the kids want to hunker down, and not get up!

4. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thx for the report Andy!! Guess the temp fix on that pontoon didnt work out?:sad2:

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Glad you got out,, Sounds like even with all the other stuff, it was worth it to go..

Did you catch fish while drifting?? I've been trying that a bit also,, during the daylight hours..No success as of yet,,,,

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    It has held up for a few trips. But the first beach I pulled into on Saturday cut into the right keel. I had to put it back on the trailer drain the toon and cover the hole with "gorilla" duct tape... Worked great, but I will need to do a little more before the next trip out..

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    All but a couple were caught drifting around...

8. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Andy, thanks for the report. Were you able to still get upriver?

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I stayed near the deep water on the main lake side. Fishing the flats around the rock piles. (I did not want to go to far with the hole in the toon.)