Barry Bonds

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Gone fishin 4 kittys, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was just wondering what you guys thought of him?

I think that almost everyone was using them and he just happened to be in the spot light. Might be Barrys attitude no one was saying anything whjen McQuire was hitting them. I think that just wrong though!! :sure::sure:

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Personally I'm Sick Of Hearing About Bonds . Thier Going To Get Him Sooner Or Later Hopefully Sooner So We Can Get On With Something Else For Awhile. Take The Homerun Title Away From Him Far As I Care.. Didn't Earn It To Start With. I Know Thats A Heated Aruguement.

4. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill

i live in st louis and yes mcguire was questioned about steriods, there was a big deal made when they found android in his locker which at the time was legal but now its not, after mcguire hit 70 homeruns stlouis named highway 70 mark mcguire highway and people like to spray paint the words cheater under the highway name, so mcguire was and still is ridiculed for his actions.

the reason i hate bonds is because it has done been proven he took steriods, but he still says he never did, if that was true why would he pay balco the company in califorina millions of dollars to develop a cream with steriods that could not be detected.

as a side note last i seen bonds was batting 187 with only 1 rbi so far this year, looks like he cant play without roids,,,,

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Bonds is a self centered attention seeker who Cheated to surpass the fame that Big Mac And Sosa were getting. I can't believe Anyone Would support Bonds in any way whatsoever!!! And Race has nothing to do with it other Then BB thinks it does. A cheater is a cheater no matter what the color of there skin

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Let's not forget that BIG MAC hit 49 homers as a ROOKIE. Bonds had never hit that many in his entire career until his "record breaking year".:rolleyes: What a joke he is!!!!!!

Eric

7. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    The record would certainly be tarnished if BONDS breaks even the BABES homeruns. To me the BABE and HANK AARON will always be at the top, I have and have had very little respect for BONDS, as you said he is very self centered // Look what I have accomplished--I also believe whole heartedly that he's a lyer.

8. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Don't get me wrong here I am NOT a fan of Bonds but I think a lot of the attitude comes from always having a million reporters in your face everyday. I don't know about you but I would probably have a attitude to. I think the attitude that he has allows him to psyche him self out and not let a lot of the things get to him.

And for the records.......

I feel that anyone that is taking or was taking any type of performance inhancing drugs there stats should not count. The records should be wiped out of the books. If you can not do it with the raw abillity like Hank and the Babe did then you DO NOT deserve to be in the books nor be mentioned with former players of that caliber.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    but lets not forget that he gets millions & millions & millions of $'s from people like US! He shuld kiss the ground the average Joe walks on, in my opinon.

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Maybe The attitude comes from thinking He is better then everyone else, and the normal rules of society don't apply to Him. After all We are talking about an athlete Who instead of dressing in the clubhouse with the rest of the ball team has His own compound complete with leather recliner and flat screen TV's. He's a pre-madonna all the way!!!

11. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I think there are alot of great home run hitters today that I believe are drug free, one being Albert Pujols what an awesome hitter + becoming a very good 1st basemen---of course he hit 3 homers today and won the game for the redbirds. Players like him I have ahigh respect for--team player--and a good chance to hit over 600 homers if they stay healthy.

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I find the whole "get Bonds" thing stupid. Baseball used Bonds, McGuire, Sosa and even Canseco to get the fans back. They turned their back on what was going on even though they knew it. It wasn't until the Balco scandal that baseball had any morals concerning steriods. You think the Cardinals and Cubs were unaware of what was going on or San Fran? Baseball knew the teams encourage players to do what ever they had to and no one cared about the long term ramifications. To demonize someone who may be a anti social misfit and try to make him the Osama of steriods is ignorant and hypocritical IMHO. You can hate Bonds because he's an arse, hate him because he used something to improve his stats(which was legal at first). He still put in the work and doesn't deserve to be the fall guy for Baseball. Let the commisioner stand up and get on the real bad guys in this black eye on Baseball, THE OWNERS! Think back to the strike, attendence was down, people were staying away and then we have a record setting homerun chase. I'm sorry I don't believe Bonds is any more guilty than George Steinbrenner who signed Jason Giambi knowing he was using. Just one of many examples of doing whatever it takes to win and fill the seats. Bonds may have an asterisk and he may be convicted of purgery(I doubt it) but steriods or not he still did the work with the weights. Steriods don't make you superman they just let the muscle rejuvenate faster. I have been prescribed steriods for a number of illnesses during my life. I have never taken them. Lyle Alzado and John Matuzak are a couple of names from the past from football that were known steriod users. I'm rambling here but bottom line is put the blame where it belongs. Don't focus on the guy who is chasing the record, put it on the people who have marketed this record chase. I am disgusted with the whole thing and Baseball ownership in general. I haven't been to a game since the strike and still won't go but I'm not blaming Bonds for this mess. Tagliabue presided over this dilema. Now back to catfishing, See ya on the water!

13. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I think that Bonds is on roids. Back when Mark was hitting them there werepeople in the MLB higher ups that thought he could be on them, but they never pursuid the thought.

14. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Ron,
    I totaly agree with most all of What you have to say about
    Baseball turning the other cheek. BUT when does Respect for the game and its history come into the picture? And what about self respect? If you have to cheat to achieve anything in life What exactly is it worth?

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I could care less about baseball anymore, Id rather watch golf. With the strikes and steroids issue its too much like politics. I would like to see anyone that knowingly used an illegal substance get the Pete Rose treatment. It all eventually comes down to the individual, they made the choice to roid up. They still have their millions and thats all they care about.

16. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Brad personally I don't think you can legislate morality. We can dislike someone who doesn't appreciate history, self respect etc. but we can't force our values on them. That doesn't sound like America to me. Like I said hate him for that if you want to, I'm ok with that but I don't think this put Bonds up as the poster boy of Steriods in Baseball. How many homers did a certain second baseman for the Cubs have?(Ryne Sandberg). Johnny Damon left his wife and kids when he left KC and got a big contract saying he wanted to have as many women as possible. Isn't that a hell of a lot worse morally than anything Bonds has done? I don't really like being in the position of defending him but I can't go along with selective morality either. I don't see any threads about Damon or any Baseball fans bringing up what a jerk he is. Didn't Steinbrenner hire a couple of pitchers that had numerous positive drug test one of whom was banned and sued? People love to hate Bonds and think he is this or that, I don't know the man. It sounds like he made some bad choices something a lot of people have done. We accept these "missteps" in our politicians,actors and musicians. Is Baseball sacred? I simply choose to give Bonds the right to have his own morality and suffer the effects of it. I do not choose to blame him or even put him in the forfront of the steroid mess. Thats more attention than he deserves and more blame as well. The bible says something about casting the first stone. well it won't come from me. Now the catfish are calling me to the water. See ya on the water!

17. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Ron,
    Again I commend you for a well thought out response and stance on your position. But performance enhancing sterioid use has been illegal for some time. If they were legal why didn't We see Bonds and countless others putting on the cream or the clear or even jabbing a syringe of Beef roids in his Arse while they were in the on deck circle? The Steroid control act of 1990 Made steriod possesion, distrubution, and use illegal Without a doctors prescription for Medical Treatment purposes only, NOT performance enhancement. Bonds numbers did not balloon until well after this date. MLB's Collective Bargaining agreement did not address steroids untill well after 1990 but that does not make them legal for ballplayers, The law is the law and superceedes any Union contract. Now if you want to call that legislating Morality....fine, But I don't really think That I am doing so. Most of us expect That when We watch a sporting event that it Be done on a level playing field, Clearly this did not happen with Baseball and Many are to blame. The owners, Bud Selig, the players, agents, and the union all played a role in this scandal. Bonds is an easy target but there is plenty of blame to go around. I don't hate Bonds (hate is a very strong word IMO) but I don't have much respect for Him. Bonds had his chance to come clean before the Grand Jury with Immunity but He and others (most notably Palmero and Sammy "I speaka no english" Sosa) Choose to lie. I'm sure that bonds will get his in the end as well every one involved in this crap cart. There is no escaping Karma

18. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Brad, Esterfied Estrogrens were excluded from that act by the following "Section 1903 of the ASCA provides that the Attorney General may exempt products which contain anabolic steroids from all or any part of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) (21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.) if the products have no significant potential for abuse" The law also doesn't require states enforce the law and allows them the right to have there own legislation. I checked Bonds numbers and except for one year where he hit 73 homers he was pretty consistant since 1993 pre steriod abuse Bonds. In fact 1994 jumps out because in over a hundred fewer at bats he hit only nine less homers.(46 in 93 and 37 in 94). Once again I'm defending my position on Barry not Barry. I too respect your opinion and it has given me pause to reflect on this issue. I view this somewhat like the roll model issue(dangerous ground here) I want my children to think of their parents as roll models not any athlete.

This tendency in this country to expect more from people who have high profile jobs is a good thought but the reality is they are just human with human failings.

Bonds by the numbers:
    1986,16hr,1987,25hr,1988,24hr,1989,19hr,1990,33hr,1991,25hr,1992,34hrs then the move to San Fran, 1993,46hr,1994,37hr,1995,33hr,1996,42hr,1997,40hr,1998,37hr,1999,34,

I personally can only point to the one year in which he hit 73 homers as a blowup year. Yes his first few years he was more of a 20 homer guy but if you follow baseball thats not uncommon with sluggers. The dimensions of old Candlestick park in San Fran were 330ft down the foul lines ten feet shorter than old Three rivers stadium. In addition Candlestick is known for its wind. Now adding all the facts and figures in the world really won't change anyones mind. It tends to be a perception thing. My perception is just different from yours doesn't make me right or wrong. I thank you for the kind comments in my rep file. I shall reciprocate. I do respect your opinion and as a father of five completely understand where its coming from. I know Bonds didn't endear himself to the media and he is paying for that now. I for one will not blame him for the greed of men even wealthier than he. Those fine attributes you want to place on the games players are great in theory but they don't hold up when you look at the man closely. Lets not make heroes out of athletes, remember our kids are watching. Lets don't demoize them either for the same reason. Very nice discussing this topic with you Brad and I appreciate your thoughtful responses. See ya on the water!

19. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Ron,
    I guess I just Yearn for a simpler time When baseball was played for the love of the game and not fame and fortune "where have you gone Joe Dimaggio" LOL I guess I'll always be a hopeless romantic in that sense.

I think that we can agree that the whole steriods and Baseball thing is a very sad chapter in the history of the game. I can only hope that someday I'll be able to introduce My Daughter and Step Son to The game that I played Because it was so much fun. Maybe the tarnish these greedy owners and players have put upon the game will have worn off By then.

I havn't been to A MLB game for seveal Years now, but every now and again I'll find Myself at the local Little League field watching the kids play. At least they play for all the right reasons........now the parents on the other hand.....Well thats another subject for another day

20. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    As a former youth league coach I'm not touching that one! Lets just say I got where your coming from. I wish it were different as well Brad, we want our team to be home town heroes not money grubbers. I don't know if its really any different though or the media just roots out every negative story they can find. I remember reading about the things "The Babe" did and the reporters looked the other way. Kids play truly for the love of the game. Its unfortunate that there isn't some standarized testing to become a parent(whoops I said I wouldn't go there). Oh well I have enjoyed discussing this issue with you your an iteligent and reasonable person. I hope you make it down to the Truman gathering. See ya on the water!