Barrell Swivel questions

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by WaltonsMountain, Aug 21, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Using 65lb PP braid and tossing 2oz. I use a Carolina Rig w/ a barrell swivel. My mono leader just recently flew off and was wondering what size swivel you guys prefer w/ this setup. Also, can you recommend a good knot to attach to the swivel? Thanks!

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    #3 swivel minimum, and I use palomar knots.

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Are you putting the weight on the mono leader or the braid? If you put it on the mono you may need a shock leader. It could be the weight breaking everything off.

I use the old cinch knot on my swivels. Remember to wet it before you tighten

Check it out here

4. WaltonsMountain

State:
    Nebraska
    It was tied to the braid, but I might have forgotten to wet the line before I cinched it.... gonna try the palmor...they work pretty good.

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    ok let me get this straight you're putting the sinker on your braid the the swivel and finally the hook and leader? if so there are a couple of potential problems, first the sinker could be cutting your braid thereby weakening before casting. second since braid doesn't stretch you could be exerting more force on the braid than it can withstand. my solution? a mono shockleader go 80lb mono with an overhand knot in it but don't tighen it next pass your braid through the overhand knot and tie a 12 turn uni knot cinch the uni up then the overhand knot pull them together and trim just about flush. next is a question about the swivel what size/strength are you using? also is it a crane or barrell?

6. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

For swivels, I use the Crane Swivel. It is a lot stronger,
    and more dependable

7. WaltonsMountain

State:
    Nebraska
    Yea, right now i'm using a 30lb mono leader attached from a barrell swivel. I've switched over to the palomar knot and after about 20 test throws seems to be solid. I think my problem was I wasn't wetting the braid before cinching the knot. If this comes apart i'll definitely try out your shockleader suggestion. Haven't used a crane swivel before, you guys like them huh? From pictures they look almost exactly like the barrel.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i personally love spro power swivels i use the size 4's a lot they are very small and test out at 110lbs. that comes in handy when you're casting 100+yds and fishing for sight feeders(bluefish in the surf) or heaving 6oz on the river for channel cats.

9. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i use a 1 with a polmar knot

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use a double clinch knot on Crane swivels only.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The Crane's are very low profile but very strong. We use them for Striper and Cats both. I think mine are Bill Fisher Cranes, only buy a good brand, I've seen cheaper ones bend at the eye. Mine are only rated around 50# but I have never bent or broke one...and I fish some heavy timber areas.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds like your knot was just coming undone. the palomar should keep you buttoned up its a verry good knot. some times i will use the double uni knot on the braid. the 30# leader should be ok too. the shock leader shouldnt be needed if it was your leader coming off leaving your swivel and sinker.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Another vote for spro power swivels, size #2 rated for 230 lbs. attached with a palomar knot.

14. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The 1-2 size swivels are good and the polomar knot. :smile2::wink:

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I'm with him on this one!!!! haven't had a problem on this setup