barrel swivel with fast-snap lock

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by old newbie, Jun 21, 2009.

1. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I had to take a disability retirement from the plant after i lost most of the strength and mobility in my left hand. I can tie a knott after several attempts and a lot of wasted time with a line out of water. So I started using snelled hooks on a regular swivel to cut down time a little. These fast-lock swivels look like they might even be easier but I wonder about their dependability if something of any size gets on the line. Since I started using swivels 5-6# is the biggest thing I've caught. I would hate to lose a potential monster to a swivel that didn't hold up but tieing those knott at night is really frustrating. Anyones opinion on these swivels would be appreciated.

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Bruce i myself use a reguler barrel swivel i use a pre tied leader just stick the loop thrue the eye on the swivel then run the hook thrue the loop on the leader and pull it down. i dont trust a snap for a big fish
    hope this helps.

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Maybe taking the time to tie your hooks may be well worth the trouble, I know about losing mobility in your hand as I was shot several years ago in the upper righthand chest area and lost partial mobility in my right hand, so I know how frustrating it can be to tie a hook sometimes, but trusting that a snap swivel will hold a good sized fish, for me would be out of the question!!! Good luck and good fishin'!!!!

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I sure wouldnt trust a snap swivel for nothing.... I know handicaps though.... after I turned 40, I went from eagle-eye to friggen blind-as-a-bat seemingly over night! Makes it a b!tch to tie knots... especially in the dark!

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj

thats a real good idea sort of like a polamer knot. i dont like trusting snap swivels seen them straighted out a few times:angry:

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    do you ever try to tie up a few or 5 or 6 hooks on a leader to have them ready. then all u have to tie is one knot instead of 3. (carolina rigging that is... ) i know im well and able but tieing a set up at night with just a hand held flashlight was tough ... couldnt ever get the flashlight in the right spot to where it was comfortable tieing a knot... then i got this brightly idea of -hey put lights in the boat lol- just trying to help with a maybe fortunate partial solution.... ive had 3lb bass straighten out snap swivels. maybe u can find some heavier snap swivels online.

7. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Duh!!:embarassed: Man that was easy. Thank you and everyone else who replied. Now since I have nothing but time thru the day, to cut down costs of snelled hooks does any one know the best way to snell your own hooks?

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the easyest way i found is: cut your leader to length take one end and run it through the top of the eye so it lays on the back side of the shank and pinch it, then grab the other end of the line a couple inches above the eye and wrap the line around the shank starting at the eye going down around 7 times and hold the wraps while you grab the verry end and run it through the bottom of the eye going up and pull tight. should be verry easy, palomer knot a swivle on the other end and done.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    check this out Bruce. in the member library http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38761

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I use some 75 lb rated snap swivels, I trust those snaps more than the swivel. Good swivels are expensive and so are the top quality snaps. Keep in mind I dont' go after or catch really large fish. The snap swivels I use have held up to some pretty good size fish tho. I probably have more concern for the line or knots than the swivels.

11. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :sad2: dam then couple more years me i will blind as a bat then :sad2::smile2:

12. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    bruce if you go with those barrell swiles i would pinch the open with a pair of pilers so it will not coming open will fishing

13. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    At 37, I came down with a back back & hip.:confused2:
    Now it's my feet.:sad2:
    Try to walk, sit, or lay down for long periods of time.:crazy:
    It's no fun period.:angry:

14. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    I just want to hop in here and say "palomar knot."

Not trying to be a smartass or anything :embarassed:, but a lot of people haven't seen it spelled, they've only heard it. It's a great knot that is really quick to tie and strong. I stopped using the improved clinch knot for almost everyting once I learned it.

Google it and you'll find a site to show it. Double up yer line, pass the end through the hole, tie an overhand knot, pass the hook through the loop and tighten. That's it. Haven't had a fish break it yet.:big_smile:

Good idea with looping the pretied snells as I was reading the thread it didn't occur to me. I usually snell hooks with a figure 8 or a bowline for the loop and attach the hook with a palomar.

15. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana

16. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
  17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well Bruce, if you set for any period of time with out a bite then that is time that you could use tying a good knot.Why be in a hurry to tie when you might set for an hour twiddling your thumbs? Your best bet if you don't want to take the time to tie on is to follow Dallas's advice. Simple and strong.

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i dont trust snaps of any kind bro. small vise grip pliers on the hook/swivel will allow you to tie clinch knots with one arm. i have seen it done with ease!