Barrel Swivel Size

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by hct236, Jan 3, 2010.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Looking for some advice on what size barrel swivel I should use on my Carolina rig. I am using 30# Team Catfish Tug-O-War Braid and am getting ready to order some swivels and wanted some input on a good size for the line. I know about hook sizes but I am unsure of swivels. Thanks

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use 1.0

Bill in SC

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Nothing but 1/0,s for me too.You could probaly get away with a smaller size,I aint never popped a swivel yet.The 1/0,s are easy to work with and rig up at night,eyes aint what they used to be!

4. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Yeah I know bout the eye's, I about have to hold it at the other end of the boat to see well enough to tie..:wink:

5. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well That depends on what type of swivel you are gonna use. I only use Barell swivels anymore, I have had no issues with a #3 or #4 barell swivel, recently swithched brand I use from Mustad to Brad's. I do have a few 1/0 and 2/0 barell swivels but I only u got them for Sturgeon fishing, course i aint catching anything over 25 lbs so that could be why I use a smaller swivel.

6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    With this new rig I am using I have eliminated them all together.I am
    attaching my braid directly to flouro or mono using albright or blood knot
    and then using a stopper on the leader for the sinker.I snell the hook and
    super glue the knot and the snell...pretty bulletproof and eliminates the need for a swivel.I do still have a bunch of 6/0 swivels for shark fishing that are already tied,and I will use what I have.As someone said previous...I too have never had one fail,not even sharkin.

I would think 1/0 would be as much as you would ever need.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I use three different sizes, that are rated at 70lb., 90lb., and 150lb.

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Im with bill...I use 1/0...Perfect size!!!

9. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I just got few packs of the crane swivels on sale 1/0 & 2/0, looks like they aren't much different, a bit more compact & heard they are rated for 100#

10. BillH

BillH New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I also use a "Rosco" size #1. You can buy them by the gross for $10.50 + shipping. The difference in a size #1 and a #1/0 is 1/16". The Rosco's are rated @ 150lbs. Of course the Krok brand is better, but over kill in my opinion. I find the size #1 just right for me. The main thing is you don't want the wire twist outside the barrel, it can get tangled up in your line. Hope this helps....

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    All I ever use is SPRO POWER SWIVELS, #2 I THINK, rated at 230lbs. They swivel super smooth, are small and greatly reduce line twist problems in current!

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    depends on which swivel you're talking about me personally i go by the breaking strength so i use billfisher swivels that test out at 75, 90, and 100lbs and when i can find them in 50 packs spro power swivels which test out at 80, 130 and 230lbs and they are much smaller than the same size swivel made by someone else so a size 4 spro 130lb test is far smaller than a 1/0 barell swivel.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm with Darryl and Mark on this one. I think they are the best swivel made. Don't let the small size fool you. :smile1:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like Spro too,it,s their price that,s a killer!

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Cost a little more but $10.99 for a 50 pack rated for 230lbs won't break the bank either. And $7.99 a 50 pack for the lighter weight SPRO's.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I like the spro power swivels in a size #2, rated at 230 lb. test. Remember the true test of a good swivel is will it turn freely under a load and has nothing to do with it breaking, you would be hard pressed to break a cheap walmart swivel. This is what is said about them when you look them up on google, Don't let the SPRO Power Swivel's tiny size fool you, these high-grade stainless steel swivels offer reduced visibility, smooth rotation and unbelievable strength. SPRO Power Swivels are built 1-1/2 times stronger than standard barrel swivels. Power Swivels are perfect for finesse fishing techniques where stealth and power are critical.

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got some SPRO swivels, 80 lb, real small, they look like panfish swivels, but rated good enough for any fish I'll ever catch. I have other swivels too, but they are twice the size, but don't look as strong. Both work good. I like putting a swivel on but can hook flourocarbon leaders on without one.

18. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You know after reading this thread, I think I might try new swivels this year. I've been bouncing around and haven't really made up my mind on which ones I like. Haven't tried the Spro, but seriously looking into them now. I dunno how much of a difference is out there, but I remember clearly how twisted my leader was not long back because my swivel wasn't doing its job.

19. festus

festus New Member

Since in the past the strongest line I ever used was 30 pound test mono, the #3 swivel has been sufficient. But I may upgrade to at least 50 to 65 pound braid this year and also go to a bigger swivel.

20. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Most time when using casting gear, I don't bother with a swivel. Line twist isn't a big issue and why tie two extra knots just to have a stop for your sinker? If I'm using mono, I'll tie the leader to the line with any good knot that works for the purpose. I use a Surgeon's knot most times, it's simple, fast, and strong enough. If I'm using braid, then I use a swivel because I've had issues with the braid cutting knots when spliced to mono.

I almost always use a swivel with spinning gear, and I prefer ball bearing swivels. They are much better at reducing line twist than regular swivels are. There's really no comparison. I was watching a tackle video on Mark Sosin's website and they were talking swivels. They hung 5lbs on a regular "crane" style swivel and with the weight hanging freely, it wouldn't even make one full rotation when spun. The ball bearing swivel spun freely with little resistance with the 5lbs hanging from it.

One rule of thumb is to use a swivel rated at least 25lbs higher than your line test. Almost every line is seriously under-rated on it's break strength, with some testing 20lbs or more than the rating on the box. I was reading an article on braid one time, and a specific brand of 6lb test braid broke at 33lbs! You already have two weak links in the line with the knots on the swivel, so no point in making the acutal swivel a third weak link.