Barracuda, Sharks?

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by suddawg, Apr 6, 2006.

1. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I'm deployed to Kuwait, and luckily on a Navy base. Went saltwater fishing today for the first time, but only caught an unknown little fish. A bunch of Navy perssonel are telling me a bunch of the locals catch small sand sharks (sorry don't know if that's an actual species or not) and barracudas off of squid. Does anyone know a good rig/presentation for these.

I'm not fishing off a beach, but a very large pier. I don't know the depth, but I would say it's pretty deep, due to large Army transport ships coming in/out. I've attached a picture, with an arrow where we're allowed to fish and the red circle notes the area where we cast.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

SudDawg

Attached Files:

2. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    sud,
    i have caught allot of cudas off a silver spoon,they love flash of it so the more flashier the better...
    as far as sharks do they have any rays there if so catch one and use his fin for bait sharks favorite food.....

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, cut 'cuda is very good shark bait because it's so bloody. Sand sharks are a small species, so I'd try cutting some steaks from a small 'cuda for bait. I reccomend using a braided wire leader rather than a solid wire, which can kink and lose much of its strength at the kink. If you're going to be doing much of this type fishing, it's worth investing in a special pair of pliers designed to crimp the sleeves used in making braided wire leaders...but it can also be used to make very heavy mono leaders. Then you can buy a coil of the braided wire and some metal sleeves, and make your own custom leaders.

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I'll have to order a few things from Cabelas, because I'm going to take full advantage of being on this Navy camp. They do have rays here, I saw and Army guy catch a huge one, and he had to cut his line (he was scared he was going to break his pole.) Thanks again

SudDawg

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Never fished that part of the world, but the sting rays in Florida have a long barb located on top of the tail, right at the base. You DON'T want to get hit with one of those! :crying: But the wings are great to eat; they taste like scallops. Time was, if you ordered scallops in something less than a 4 star restaurant, you had a pretty good chance of getting stingray wings, rather than the real thing. They'd take a round cookie cutter and cut round pieces out of the wings, just like cutting biscuits out of rolled-out dough.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Thanks fellas. Went out for an hour again tonight, and I'm starting to figure out how to catch the baitfish, so this thursday they will become my bait. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks
    SudDawg

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ummmm...hand granade??...i've never fished saltwater...wished i could be more help

8. The Undertaker

The Undertaker New Member

State:
    Miami Oklahoma
    Suddawg,
    When I was in San Diego and fished the saltwater, alot of the time we would sit on the pier and fish for sharks and rays. We would use a whole squid on a 5/0 hook and whatever size sinker you needed to keep it down on the bottom. Hook the squid through the head and cast it out. Make sure the rod is securely tied down and just wait. If there is a shark in the area he will find this and eat it. Let us know what how you do.
    steve

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Well the Navy is doing an ammo download on the piers so no fishing for a couple weeks or so. I'll let everyone know if I manage to catch something. Thanks for all the help.

SudDawg

10. Wampus Cat

Wampus Cat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey sorry to bother with stupid questions...but how do i post a question on here...i am new

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Wampus Cat! Well, you just asked a question, so I guess you mean how do you start a new thread about a different subject, right? Go back to the first page that comes up after you sign on and you will see a bunch of major topic areas--'forums'. Under each one of these are a bunch of 'sub-topics'. For instance, 'forum' might be 'States'; 'sub-forum' might be 'Arkansas'. Now, once you click on the sub-forum you want to start a new thread in, all you have to do is click on the little box labelled 'New Thread' and type in your question, comment, tip, or whatever.

12. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Wampas, Just go to the Subject list and click on new thread. Click on it and you can post your own subject.

Matt

13. OBXterraSC

OBXterraSC New Member

State:
    NC (Fort Sill, OK right now)
    I've heard of that before, too.