Barometric Pressure

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jmanion8, Jun 23, 2009.

1. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So I've looked through the sites archives quite a bit and have found quite a bit of information, but I'm curious as to what is too high and too low, in inches, for barometric pressure, in your opinions. I've seen that 29.92 is the "standard" and that the barometric pressure ranges from about 28.5 inches at its lowest to about 32 or 32.5 inches on its highest. Also, is it better when it is rising, falling, or stable?

Now I know that the whole "barometric pressure related to fishing" thing is just one way of thinking for fishing, but I'm curious to see what people's opinions are on the exact pressures. Thanks in advance!

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    when it is high, or rising fishin is slow. falling the fishing picks up. i think its got something to do with the swim blatter in fish.

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Don't pay too much attention. I've tried a bit and it's all tied to fronts coming through, anyway so just watch if there is a chance for rain or whatever. Sudden changes can shut the fish off but slower ones where the weather changes gradually don't matter that much. Sometimes they don't quit biting, they just move and you don't know where. Thunder & lightning are bad in my experience and so are fireworks and go karts and other noisy things like that. You only have to much time to fish and the best times of the year are short. You just gotta go.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with Josh here..Just go whenever you can go..I check the pressure but it doesn't stop me from going fishing if I want to go.Basically though its better when the pressure is falling.Its trial and error to figure whats too low..Also the pressure determines the depth I'm gonna fish..If its high I'm fishing deep if its low I'm fishing shallow..

5. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Don't get me wrong here, I go fishing any time I get the chance! I'm just curious to see what kinds of research people have done on Barometric Pressure and what their conclusions were, preferable with some exact numbers of highs and lows.

6. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    a guy once told me 29.6 is best might not be true not sure never put much thought into it... it was one of them things someone says to ya and you just say yeah

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i agree 100%