Barometric pressure Question

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Steve W, May 8, 2006.

1. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    One of the local old timers told me a story today about the correlation between barometric pressure and "cow" feeding/grazing patterns. According to my local guy, the cows gaze and feed more aggresively at the same time at which the catfish are feeding more aggresively. So I looked up some information on cow eating etc. To make a long (and boring) story short, Cow digestion produces alot of methane gas from the digestion of cellulose. Now if barometric pressure affects the volume of a gas, higher pressure=smaller volume and vis-vera at the same temperature, then it would seem like during high pressure atmospheric conditions the volume of the gas in a cow's gut would be smaller. The smaller volume of gas would allow for more room for more food intake and the cow's would eat more.But most fisherman observe than falling barometric pressures produce the best fishing. Anybody know anything about this cow grazing and fish biting thing? anybody have any ideas?

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Tomorrow may be your last day here so fish all you can today bites or no bites its all fun. High or low pressure new or full moon rain or snow a bad day on the water is still a great day:big_smile:

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I always heard that if the herd was laying down the fish would not bite. To me it seems to hold true. So Do cows lay down for a rising or falling baremeter?

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always heard & have noticed if all the cows are laying down it will rain. It is true, I'm pretty sure if the pressure is rising a storm is coming in.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO. Some interesting questions to say the least. I've always subscribed to the theory if the cows are lying down, they are TIRED. If the cows are up eating, they are HUNGRY. Same goes for the fish I reckon.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    There is a hungry fish somewhere on the 24/7/365. I will hunt this fish down and catch him if he is the only one feeding. I fish whenever I can. Not when the barometer, weather or anything else says I should. Vern

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I agree with Vernon, anytime is a good time.

8. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    "If the cows are lying down, they are tired." Hay, that sounds like me. That Must mean when I'm tired the fish aren't biting. :haha:

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    That's right , Dick. If your in bed they aren't biting on your poles. lol just thought that was funny. Vern

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've noticed another thing like this, the more wildlife I see (deer,squerl,rabbits and birds) the more active the fish seem to be.So the farther away I fish the more active the fish are.:big_smile: But truthfully I've noticed a difference.

11. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I think you guys maybe saying just relax and go fishing
    and don't worry about the cows

12. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep thats what i usually do
    if i have time to go and plan on going i go fishing

13. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Aftercats and I were out on the lake one evening, you could see the front coming through. The fish began to bite like crazy. and it lasted for a while. I am a real believer in the barometric pressure affecting fish. this has happened to me twice.

14. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Personally its my belief that there are very few days when fish arnt biting SOMEWHERE on something. Many days ive been out fishing and caught nothing, then look at the fishing reports for the lake and they claim such and such was producing fish like crazy. Then theres a barge I fish at occasionally that I swear I can be fishing not 2 feet away from a guy , both using live minnows and he will catch crappie all night and I wont even get a bite. I think 90% or more of the time when people think the fish werent biting, they simply werent in the right place. We have had times when we drifted an area across a lake, got no bites, moved over 20-50 feet and restarted and caught fish the entire drift across the second time.

Ive heard the cow story a hundred times and theres a new spin each time someone gets ahold of it. I think its just used as an excuse for when people cant find the fish, they blame it on the cows :).

Small things to remember that the average fishermen might not think about. After you put on sunscreen do you wash your hands with soap? If not the sunscreen stays on your hand, then gets on the bait you use. Have you ever accidentally tasted sunscreen? Its nasty, and bitter. Just one thing that us as humans dont think much about but it can change the way fish react to one persons bait verus anothers.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Now this is some good advice. :smile2:

16. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Living on a farm all my life (dairy and beef) I could'nt guartantee a corralation. I've seen cows feed in the pouring rain, and I've seen them bed right were they are. I can tell you this, if you see cows heading for the trees (cover) I'd suggest you better do the same, real quick cuz it's about to get bad.

On another note, you might find a closer correlation between cows calving and barometric pressure and moon phases, instead of grazing.

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    In Our Newspaper, Everyday In The Sports Section, There Is A Listing Of The Major Feed Times For Fish & Game. I have Noticed That These Times For The Most Part, Seem To Pretty Accurate To The Times That Game Are More Active.

I Would Guess That These Are Based Upon The Lunar Table charts:roll_eyes: Elliot

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Years ago, in a moment where I hoped to instill some "old knowledge" in my daughter about hunting and fishing, I asked my daughter, "sweetie, do you know what it means when cows lay down?' She said, "their legs are tired."

Nuff said.

Her other words of wisdom came while fishing with me one day. I said, "man, I wonder why the fish are not biting". Her response, "they are not hungry".

Sometimes the simplest answer makes the most sense.

I track all that baromter stuff along with moon phases in my fishing journal. So far I have not been able to make any sense of any of it. I have had good and bad days in every barometric situation and moon phase there is.

Fish eat when they are hungry and opportunity arises. Certain atmospheric situations can influence this, but if there is no stimulus then they will eat when they are hungry, with or without a full moon, falling barometer, cows laying down, or anything else!! I believe that if you fish a 12 hour period in a good place with the right bait you will be fishing through at least one feeding cycle.

My philosophy is that I have only so many hours to fish on a given day and I will spend that time trying to figure out exactly where the best bite will be. Some days I am on them from the start, and some days the bite does not happen until it is time to head home. Either way I am out there when I have the chance killing time and bait!!

19. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You all are referring to the old adage that if cows are lying down the fish won't bite. It has to do with feeding patterns of wildlife and cows follow these same patterns. If cows are lying down, they are not in a feeding mode and neither are the fish and neither are the fish as a rule. Of course, just because some cows are lying down that does mean that the fishing will be poor in every case. Barometeric pressure has no bearing on the cows anymore than it does on us. If a cow is having problems with gas, it generally means its bloated or a vet needs to operate for hardware. However, the barometeric pressure has a big effect on the fish and fishing in general. In my experience, temperatures and barometeric pressure are at top of the list of factors affecting fishing.

20. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Ok you all have me good and confused, I guess I'll just have at go fishing!