Barometric Pressure in Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Mar 15, 2006.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Like to hear what you all think about it. Is high or low better? Does it make a difference in rivers and lakes , or just one of them? In Kansas , or surrounding areas , is there a certain pressure zone we should be looking for? (ex. 28.5-29.75) Is the fishing better when its rising or dropping? For those of you that know alot about BP, Id sure love to hear your thoughts on it. Its just one more factor in fishing , but I want to be able to recognize every advantage/disadvantage out there for big time cattin.

Thank you in advance. :)

2. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I don't know much about it, but Right before a storm, the deer hunting is usually good. During that time the pressure is usually dropping. Thus, if the same applies to fishing, a dropping barometric pressure should be what you want. Of course thats not to say, though, that a steady pressure or rising pressure is bad. Hope that is of some help.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I always have my best luck right before a storm or couple hours after

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    barometric pressure affect different fish in different ways, but as for cats they all act pretty much the same. flats are the most sensitive for some reason, maybe its because they are more of a predator or have a larger air bladder. i just dont know. if your fishing in stable conditions and it starts to fall, the first hour will be good and then they usually shut off. if it starts rising, the first hour will be best but they will usually continue biting at a slower pace. rising is definately the best! if it is falling and it look to keep falling i will not go at all, but sometimes it will fall for a while and start rising again and if it looks to be that way i'll go. i've been learning about the pressure since i was a teen and still get puzzled at times, but i know it has a major effect on fish and wildlife. humans too to a lesser degree. to me the optimal zone is 29.95-30.12 and rising for flats and 29.85-30.20 for channels. i havent fished for blues enough to know about them. do a search on here for "barometric" pressure, we have discussed this before more in depth.

5. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I believe dinkbuster is right, I've done alot of research on barometer when it comes to crappie fishing. I think it pertains to all fish in general, when a low or high pressure system moves in the fish will often feed while the pressure is going up or down, after the pressure stabilizes the fish tend to stop feeding for 8 to 12 hours. A stable system is somewhere close to 30.00 whithout moving too much. The old tale that fish bite before a storm is true because the approaching storm puts the barometer on the move. I got this information reading articles from fishing guides and have found it to be true in most of my fishing, however there have been many times I thought the crappie should be biting on mornings this winter only to find the few I caught to be gut stuffed with shad they have eaten at night before I arrived. I think they begin to feed when the barometer starts moving and will continue until it stops or they become full, whatever happens first. Of course thats not always the case which leaves me dumbfounded sometimes. I've found the only thing that increses my odds is spending as much time on the water as possible. Hope this helps. ERIC:rolleyes: