barometric pressure affect the bite?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LoneStarCatter, May 29, 2008.

1. LoneStarCatter

LoneStarCatter New Member

State:
    Texas
    My grandpa taught me to check the barometer before we go fishing to see if the fish are gonna be biting. He was a shrimp boat captain, and quite the fisherman. I have noticed over the years that the pressure affects the bass and crappie quite a bit, but have not noticed that much of a difference when it comes to catfish. I’m gonna be on the water any chance I get, pressure good or bad. I was just wondering if anyone else checks the pressure before they go out and if so, what conditions seem to work out best in your favor? And does the pressure affect one type of cat more than another?

This is a great site with tons of info and great people. I am glad that I found it.

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I've taken very good notes for two years now, and have been strikingly suprised how little correlation there was between weather and fishing...

Even they widely mentioned, a "storm is coming" seemed to make no significant increase in fish catch.

I think catching fish is strictly dependant on fishing where they are, with a technique they like, .....on a moment where the combined astrological influences of your and the fishes birth are favorable!
    :eek:oooh:

Exhibit number one. three consecutive days, same place, same weather,same bait. one day exhilarating success, the other a dullish minor nibble, and the third NOT ONE pinch of anything mouthing,or nibbling the line...boring beyond belief....
    and needless to say, ......a nearly identical barometric pressure.

I could be more scientific and less wierd, if you wanted me to ... but I'm not that great of a catfishermen... (and bank bound to boot)...
    Jolie

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The barametric pressure can be close to the same reading as the day before or time before but I feel and have experienced better fishing when the pressure is below 30 and is falling. If the pressure is below thirty and is steady I don't get as many bites and if it's rising I may as well be using a net.:eek:oooh::smile2:

4. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I usually have better luck when rain is not too far in the distance. Usually the day before or even a few hours before works well. I don't really pay attention to the barometric pressure - unless we have a REAL storm system coming - and then I get a migraine. No joke. And as far as the fishing calendars, I don't believe in them too much. When they say it will be a good day, it usually turns out bad for me. But when they say bad day, I rack up!:eek:oooh::tounge_out:
    Deb

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ryan welcome to the BOC!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!:big_smile:

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Ryan, it’s a great site that offers us a platform to share and learn from one another. Your grandpa taught you well. They planted a chip in crappie and learned that the air bladder expands twice the size with every little increment we measure a barametric change. When high, they go the bottom with a sick like feeling, won’t feed and move very little. That’s where to look for them during a bluebird day, get in their face with a jig and they will stike it out of attitude from not feeling well. Now with catfish, we really don’t know but like Kevin said at below 30 and falling, the bite by far is the best. I’ve also noticed a good bite as it is rising, just not as fast as it’s falling. Seems like when it is moving the bite is best and when steady the bite slows down. My own opinion on this is, since it affects the movement of the baitfish, that in turn affects the predator.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    But according to weather forcasts and storms and such why can't they give us a forcasted barametric pressure and movement.:eek:oooh: That would help out our fishing trip plotting and planning wouldn't it.:big_smile:

Oh well just have to keep watching the weather and if ya got a storm coming in the next day ( especially from the west) then it's time to go fishing. When a storm is moving in the barametric pressure is falling.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    For me I like low pressure most of the time except for when I'm ice fishing I like the high pressure

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've heard this all my life, and while I'm not ready to discount it entirely, I do have a problem with it.

The pressure a fish (or a scuba diver) senses is influenced far more by the weight of the water over it, than the weight of the air above the water, and in fact, it's the total of the two that is felt. Small changes in depth, or even waves and wakes, alter the pressure constantly...I just can't see minor changes in barometric pressure having much impact.

If there's anything at all to this, it involves more than just barometric pressure.

11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I have noticed that the more pressure I feel at the house, the more likely that I am going to fish. :smile2: Now when weather is coming and the pressure is dropping, it does seem like the bait bites better. I have seen no difference in the catfish.:wink:

12. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:wink:

13. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    My Grampa was a commercial catfisherman back in the 50's and 60's. I remember him watching the barometric pressure on the morning news every day. If it was over 30 and on the rise, he wouldn't leave the house. Use to drive me crazy,:eek:oooh::angry: cause I was there to go fishin'. Personally, I don't really pay much attention to the barometer. I fish whenever I get the chance!