barometers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Steven Armstrong, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i`ve allways heard that barometer reading tell if the fish are biting, does this work and how?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Barametric pressure is another one of those matter of opinion things but, most of those that believe in it will tell you that fishing is best when the barametric pressure is below 30 and falling or rising. When the barametric pressure is steady they say the fish don't bite well at all.

But if you want to wait for the pressure and all the other signs such as moon phase etc etc. to get right so you can go fishin you go ahead but for me I'm going fishing. :big_smile:

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    There is a bit of truth in it but like said above just go fishing when you want to. I do run out for special trips when I see a storm though. A little info about atmospheric operation, Storm activity almost never happens in high pressure zones however if you want to know where there will be storms look for a low pressure area and most likely they will occur especially on a "front" which as said above is when a high pressure zone is being pushed away by a low pressure zone(pressure dropping), if there is any moisture in the air you will get clouds. So if you do any reading on this site you will find that alot of people like fishing when a storm is approaching or present. This is a low pressure area or front.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There is no doubt that changing weather patterns affect how the fish are going to bit. I don't think it is the defining element, but it has an impact.

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah I agree with you guys...I go fishing when I can as much as I can...I do remain aware though in the moon phases and the barometric pressure when I go though, cause its true what they say about it..

6. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I think barometric pressure may effect the bite of catfish, but I don't think it will keep you from catching them. Here's something I've kind of learned about lake fishing, catfish seem to have what I call are underwater trails that they travel usually off of old river or creek channels and if you can find one of these you'll usually catch catfish any time of the day, or year no matter what the barometric pressure is doing, and in any weather conditions, rain, snow, sleet, or shine. This might be baloney, but it has worked for me.
    :smile2:

7. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    Lee, give me some info on these under currents, how do you find these? and how are you fishing them?

8. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I found them mostly by luck, but what I've observed is where a underwater channel goes around a point out in the lake fairly close to shore say about 100 yds or so this is usually a good place to fish it seems when the current is moving under the water it will deposit old logs and stuff around this point. The water in the channel needs to be fairly deep around 20ft or so and sometimes I'll fish right in the channel, and some times off the channel it's best to have a couple rods so you can fish both ways. A

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio