Barnett Reservoir catfish

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ratred, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Been working on the crappie lately, but noticed some jug fishing going on recently. Anyone doing any good for cats on jugs or tightlining on Barnett recently ? I usually start targeting the cats after the crappie spawn is over .

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WELCOME TO THE BOC BROTHER

3. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I am off the next three days, I will let you know if they have turned on yet. I will be hitting the crappie but will have a few jugs out to see what the blue cats are doing.

4. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Ronnie , you usually fish the bay don't you ? I fish it occ. but it is usually rougher water than up river in the backwater, and I can usually get away from the traffic there. I plan to throw some jugs soon also and let them fish while I work on the crappie . Last year I had very good luck in April with the blues . Let us know how you do.

5. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ratred I caught about 30 this morning, the crappie were slow so I ran jugs for about four hours, had three nice blues and one flathead. Most of the cats were small the biggest of the blues was around five pounds. I am headed back in the morning if the wind don't blow me off the lake again.

6. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Thats a good sign . You using shad for bait ? I will prob. give them a try this weekend . We will try some shrimp. I seem to have better luck with them . Recently have not been able to catch many shad.

7. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Ronnie, not sure whats happening with the crappie. I do real good one day and not the next, all in the same location and setup . Go a few days later and load the boat. Good luck with them also .

8. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I caught some shad early in the morning, seems like they head for deeper water when the sun comes up. What size shrimp do you use? Frozen or fresh? I have not found anything to beat shad on blue cats. Do you use any scent on them?

Ronnie

9. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Ronnie, I just get a medium size frozen shrimp from kroger or walmart (cheepist I can find) . Usually one will be enough for two hooks. They stay on well and no extra scent is needed. They last a long time as I just refreeze them if any is left after fishing. They also thaw easily if you leave them in a plastic bag and place them in the livewell water. They have been my best bait for years and easy to get . I do like to use fresh shad, but have a harder time getting them when I need them. Have not done well with frozen shad.

10. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Took my son jugfishing this morning for a couple hours then the wind started blowing straight out of the east so we called it a day. This is his first and biggest fish of the day. We kept 10 blues and two flatheads. We were using live shad and live bream. We were trying to catch him a hog, maby next time.

Attached Files:

11. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Ronnie! I've found some new spots and we need to hit em!! :big_smile::big_smile: I've switched to the noodles and use double hooks now! Let me know when you get ready!!!

12. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Sounds good! The bite had just started good for me before this cold front moved in. I have my bait tanks up and running ready for some bream.

13. ironhorse

ironhorse New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Hey; you guys; sound like you are having fun up there; i live about 2 hrs. south of you on the pearl river. We have been catching some pretty nice crappie; but no bream yet; i am waiting on the bream to start bedding so i can get the fly rod out. Keep in touch; let me know how the fishing is up there. Tight Lines!

14. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ironhorse I just bought my first fly rod a few weeks ago and love it. I have been doing pretty good on bait size bream in the shallows in pelahatchie bay.

15. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Ronnie, Any luck with the cats lately? This weekend may be the time. I will prob. try up river. Really want to get over to the Mississippi , but its going to be around 32 ft. this Friday. Will have to wait a while I guess.

16. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I went Monday morning in the bay and caught five cats on jugs, very slow. I am headed back to the bay in the morning to see if this rain will turn them on.

17. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Hey Ronnie and Tony
    I hope ya have some luck. I miss fishing down there. Just isnt the same here. Went the other week and it started sleeting on us. Just breezy and down right cold at times. Needless to say, we had no luck:roll_eyes:.

Bought our licenses for the year, it costed us $72.00(for 2). Extra $5.00 if we wanted to fish with an extra rod and they expire 12/31/07 at that. The lake we go to, the wind blows all the time. Ive went in August and had to bundle up to keep from getting a chill.:lol:

Take care and once again, Good luck on the Rez!:big_smile:

18. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Rebelg76 bundle up and get after em. Extra $$ for a extra pole? I talked to a guy that lived in California and they can only fish on certain days. I think we have it good here in the deep south....for now.
    Good to hear from you.

Ronnie

19. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Did you do any good today Ronnie ? I will be up the river Saturday. Will post report when I get in.

20. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Ronnie, been meaning to ask , have you ever caught any up in Pelehatichie creek along side or past the golf course ? Haven't tried this yet but there are some deep holes in there and cut under the banks. I have bone well with the crappie and bass at times there, just haven't jugged or tightlined.