Barley - brewing my first batch of beer and have some left over barley -Catfish Bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by ccromwell78, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    I was brewing my first batch of beer and have some left over barley. Any ideas what to add to make a catfish bait? I have seen a few recipes for different corn baits that ferment the corn so why not barley. I am fairly new to this site and posting my first new thread. Any good ideas will be taken?

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    This is a good thought!

I homebrew too and I never thought of what to do with the barley bag after its been used!

Welcome to tthe BOC- I wish I could help you but instead like you, I need to learn something here.

My guess is that afrter brewing the crystalized sugars in the barley are gone cause youboiled em out to make your yeast-food in your beer. It would be hard to forment without sugars....

Im gonna sit back and follow this thread though cause you bring up a great point.

And WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!!

Sal

3. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    My grandpa used to make shine and would dump the mash in the river when he was done with it. He used to say that the fish loved it as did the turtles. Often he would fatten a turtle up on mash then eat it. I would give it a try. Watch out for revenuers though!! lol Granpa never was caught, but the sherriff was a friend and would often tip him off when they got a tip on his still's location. He would load it up in the boat and float into a new location.

4. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    It also might be good as chum!

5. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    hey sal what about sweeting it up with a bit of leftover malt.

6. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Take that and chum the area your going to be fishing a day or 2 before fishing it and draw them to that area. good luck keep us posted.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Ditto,use as chum.If using in a lake with no current,throw a few pounds out every other day,in current,a few hours before you start fishing.

I'm sure BOC brothers will help you drink up the byproduct of making chum.;)

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

My answer- why use (waste) malt? Wont a dollar bottle of corn syrup do just as good, or a simple sugar/water syrup made by boiling equal parts water and sugar?

:rolleyes: I would save the malt for brewtime.

9. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    Chum would be a good idea but there is only about a pound of barley. I wouldn't think that would be enough.

10. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    Forget about the catfish bait:0a34:. I am tasting my fist home brew right now and it is wonderfull:thumbsup: a russian imperial stout. It is worth the wait. Only bad thing is I believe it will go to fast.

11. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I made my own chum. I used oats from the feed store, water, sugar, and a fresh Home brew of mine. I know, A waste of good Beer! But, I stopped drinking over a year ago. Anyway, I put it all in a five gallon bucket last year and it stinks to high heavens. I used it on a small lake in Ohio, Kokosing in Knox County, while camping. The next morning our campsite was surrounded by Carp. We had a ball catching them. Most were 18 to 24 inches and almost pulled my 10 year old in. I've still got plenty and it's only getting better...:crazy:

12. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would just mix it in with some water, blood, and garlic or maybe some cheese and let it rot. Then mix with some cornmeal or flour and use it as bait if you don't want to chum with it.

13. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    I would put the spent malt/barley in a cloth sack and put in your favorite fishing hole a day before you plan to fish. That is what I used to do when I made homebrew.

14. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I don't know about the chum, but the leftover beer can be delivered to the second house on the right on West North St in Poplarville, MS. You can't miss it. There'll be a guy standing in the yard with a frosty mug swattin skeeters. :smile2:

15. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Google 'carp boilies' and find a recipe. Once you read enough of the recipes you see common threads among them. You might run the grains in a blender with some water and then add the other ingredients. Should make great bait.

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I trotline for channels and buffalo suckers, boilies comprise the bulk of my bait. Soured cottonseed meal is one of the ingredients in my recipe, and I can see where the spent barley from homebrew would definitely provide the "grainy essence" needed for a good doughball bait.