Barkley report

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lance, Jun 2, 2009.

1. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fished Barkley over the weekend and the tailwaters . Tailwaters : Water is over the rail :sad2: Did see some bow fishing going on and gars flopping on the bank and spoonbills . In my opinion if your gonna shoot the spoonbills get some use out of them. 1 channel about 18 in and 1 lg mouth pushing 20 in both from shad and 1 mean ole snapper hub cap size . Cat and Bass on shad from Poplar Creek . 1 cat and some gills from Eddyville Penetetiary close to bank .Cat on half rot. shrimp 1 run on a lil' gill and I missed it !I would bet the channels are spawning in the rocks .Find rocks you will find channels .Be prepared to show fishing license .Was checked 4 times over the weekend .Good luck and be safe.

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    are the skip jacks running below the dam at barkley

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I went around midnight and didn't stay to fish Its almost impossible to bank fish next to the dam when the water is like that .Maybe pm griz or John they know a bait shop down there you might call for info. Seems I can always catch a few when the water is down .But I am usually down there visiting family so.. I am not making a special trip for jacks . Sorry I couldn't be of more help .

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't been to the dams in over a month....but the last time I was at Barkley dam.....I slaughtered the skips!:crazy:

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    looks like you had a various bag. little bit of everything i guess i'll try again this week if i can find a dry place:crazy:

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah just wish I could get a new avitar fish tho . Rain today and tommorow be safe !

7. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    just got report that the skips were running good next to the dam and the flats were doing ok too

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Heading back this weekend !:big_smile: Hope I can find a quiet place maybe I better fish close to the prison !:crazy:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lance give us an update when you get back.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Heading out this afternoon ! I get slimy all over just thinking about it ! Everyone be safe out there .

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    1 blue about 24in 1 channel over 20 in . 2 in the upper teens and 1 about 14 in . The blue came from Poplar Creek the others from below the dam .Had 1 good run at the prison that ran fast betting it was a gar. And a a drum over 20 in. My wife had the camera so no pics.:sad2: Not that any of those are really worth a kodac moment anyway LOL The shad were at the dam Thurs. night and non-exsistent Fri. night .Current was an issue I believe .The bow fisherman were out in force Thurs.. night @ the dam wacking the spoonbill once again they were shot and wasted .Why ? The asian carp weren't around I think they did shoot 1 gar while I was there .The blue was healed up pretty good so the blue spawn may be over I do not know. The fish at the dam always seem to be a little beat up. Water was warm and heavy boat traffic next weekend may be better for those that can go . Good fishing to all.

12. 32841

32841 Guest

lance

Thank you for the report, I am planning on going down in the next week or so.
    Barkley is a great place to fish IMHO.

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fished Barkley dam Fri. night 10 blues 1 channel and some whites .Great trip .except....Forward went out on the motor and a couple of rude group of guys when we took out from Ind. and Ill. that wanted to put their boat in on the 1 side of the ramp we needed to get the boat out .It ended up slowing everyone from putting in because my cousin was in line to get us out but they would rather argue with me than use the other side of the ramp .No I wasn't gonna back off the ramp and do circles in reverse so they could have both sides of the ramp in the current .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Pics on the east ky thread couldn't post them here to.