Barkley Dam Report

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lance, Jul 21, 2008.

1. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fished the 19th Caught 2 blues about 16 in. 1 channel about 14 in. Plenty of shad to be dipped beside the rail . Had asian carp jumping over the rail on the bank . Some might disagree but the ones I could crush there heads with chunk rock I did so. 4 people were shooting them with a bow . They are a big concern ! When boats locked through the dam the water comes out on the other side of the river and you could see over a 100 in the air at a time NO JOKE ! I also fished my father in laws pond and caught a channel about 30 inches and another 1 about 18 to 20 inches . Watch your heads those carp can jump 5 or more feet ! Some were probably better than 20 lbs.. Tennesse they are headed your way !

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like those carp make things kind of exciting.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Exciting and dangerous ! I had one hit me in the boat down river @ Pickneyville and it was less than pleasureable . Wish I knew how to fix them ! All you need is a boat to catch them sometimes . Or just stand at the dam and wait for one to jump the rail .:smile2:

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wish we could use are 12 gauge pump shotguns on those asian carp. I think that would be a lot of fun and would sharpen up your shooting skills at the same time remove the unwanted non-native fish.:eek:oooh:

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree about using them for target practice :cool2: they were so close Full choke I might have missed ! lol :smile2:

6. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    anyone having any luck with the skipjack (more than a couple)?

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Not while I was there ! I don't know much about them . If the come to the dam to spawn or just hang and feed . One thing I have noticed if they are not generating fish don't bite well .

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You can usually catch the skips there.....just get up next to the dam and cast your sabaki rigs into the swift water. Early morning seems to work best for me. I dont fish the dams much any more. 60 miles one way. I only live 8 miles or so from the lake, so its off to the lake I go and can usually catch all baits from the bank. Including , skipjacks.....shad.....bluegills.....wild shiners. Haven't really caught any good fish at the dams in a long time.:big_smile:

9. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds perfect to me