Barges and Trains?

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by DANZIG, Apr 1, 2006.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Got out for a bit of bank fishing on the Gyandotte River today, (caught several kinds including a 4 and a 6 channel) in-between bites we got to discussing the fact that we seemed to get more bites when a train was near. A little more talk and we agreed that, on the Ohio River, we all got more bites when a barge powered by.

So, my question to the board is...
    Have we drank way too many beers?..or have you folks had the same experience?
    And if you have, Do you have an explanation for this?

2. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I have experienced the same thing several times on the Ohio River. We wont be getting any bites and a barge will pass and then we will get several fish right afterwards. Not sure why this happens but I dont think its the beers:)

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i read a post a while back about the subject, and since then i have been paying attention to how fish react when a train rolls by at one of my favorite spots. TRAINS MAKE THEM BITE! (at least channels)

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    yes back in my bank fishing days when bite was slow, when ever wed see a barge wed say its about time for a bite, and sure enough some one would get a bite. i think its becouse of the turbulance they create, making the bait start moving around better. just my thoughts.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I definetly agree that when a barge goes by it causes fish to strike. I think the fish know that the bottom is going to be stirred up and food will be moved around and they react to this.

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    We were into some white bass one day on the river and we were picking up a few now and then. A barge went by us and the water came alive. It caused a feeding frenzy and the water looked like it does on tv when piranhas are feeding on a fresh kill. The next 30 - 45 minutes they would hit anything. If you missed one it didn't matter because another one would get it before you got to the boat. We caught 50 or more. We thought maybe it was due to a bunch of the schooling shad were killed or injured. It was sure a wild fun time.

ST

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've definitely seen fishing pick up after a barge passed. I can't say if it's because it stirred up the bottom, or because it killed a bunch of shad as it passed, but both reasons sound valid to me. I don't recall ever fishing where a train would go by nearby, so I can't offer any first hand observation, but it seems obvious that it doesn't kill any shad, and I don't see how it could stir up the bottom very much. Maybe the vibration would cause the fish to bite? :confused:

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Then you are saying the vibration is causing this wonderful event?
    Bill

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have experienced both trains an barges. And I think any one that fishes the Ohio River with any regularity will come to the same conclusions. These events cause a short feeding reaction in many fish. I thought it was because the props were cutting up shad, but what does that have to do with a train?
    In my way of thinking that leaves vibration and noise as the only common denominators. Noise usually scares fish and gives them lock jaw so I think we can exclude that. That leaves us with vibration, ah ha! Now why would vibration cause a catfish to bite? It tickles their bellies !and fools them in to thinking they are hungry! :D lol

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Perhaps the cavitation and vibrations stirs up the baitfish and spooks things out of hiding. So each time a train rumbles by or a barges stirs the water its like a dinner bell.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Do you expect that maybe the vibration is stirring something up from the bottom?
    Or maybe it sounds like feeding baitfish or something?
    Or is Netmanjack on the right track ... vibration directly affecting the fish?

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    In another post there was talk about the high power lines and fish biting better under them. The lines and the railroad tressel both emit vibrations. When the barge goes by, it stirs the water up so the food is lifted from the bottom and they go nuts due to food being available, dinner is served...lol

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Yes, it's been discussed a few times on the board! There are quite a few here, that have had times when fish were caught any time any type of boat went by , barge to jetski! I am pretty sure it stirs up natural bait and also provides action to your bait! At night I have heard the bells on rods ringing all along the bank when freighters and tankers come through our deep water channel!

14. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've noticed the same thing. Over at St.Mary's Lake, Ohio I've noticed that several times. The channels really bite well when there is a lot of wind causing waves on the lake or when there's a lot of boat activity, when the water is flat, the bite is much slower.

15. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I don't have a clue either as to what causes that, but here on the Ohio River we have caught many a "barge fish" and "train fish". Had a double several weeks ago, a barge and train passing at the same time , but no bite. LOL Maybe too much commotion going on. LOL

16. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    There is a noise maker used when catfish stop biting. At the present I don't remember where I seen it advertised.
    Also on one of the fishing boards someone talked about when fishing got slow they would hit the water a donk, sonk or some name similar.

I have never tried or personnally know anyone that has tried it just read about it.

This might be what is happening when a barge or train goes by.

Jim

17. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm like everyone else; don't know if it's noise, vibration, or stirring up the water, but it does work! Here on the Green River, the bites seem to be much better after a barge passes - don't know about RR trestles or power lines.

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I dont know about trains but on the Ohio River when a barge is coming, you might as well grab your pole cause your likely to catch something.

19. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I know in the area where I live an we fish waters with barges going up and down the bite definately gets better when the barges pull that water from the shore and it comes splashing back at us. It is some undertow it makes. We always stand ready for bites right after this. I think it is because the bottom is disturbed all to hell. As an added note; when fishing lakes in this area and had my boat handy, I would make a run around in circles to stir the bottom then dock the boat and the bullheads would bite a lot better after doing so. My dad who is 88 yrs young taught me that when I was just a little shaver and that was quite a few years ago I hate to admit.
    Either way good fishing to all ! ;)

20. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree. We call them barge bites, but I think there is a correlation between the two, but dont know why. Just seems that I have noticed it as well.